mathbishop

How Do I Make This Simple Tote?

Ohhh, I think I can see what is going on, looks like its one large piece of leather and depending on the gusset size will reflect how big the base will be.

Thanks for the link!

You might already be working on it, since your post is 2 weeks old.. but here's (a really rough) example of what the shape should be for the bottom of that tote, as well as an example of another simple option. (It's pretty apparent I have no idea how to use my drawing software..lol)

That bag is made with 3 pieces, it's a really good bag to start with, and will look very impressive. Try to make a mock-up out of paper first.. I've found that no matter how much planning I do, I always miscalculate.

If you're still looking for a step-by-step, reply and I will send you a really basic one for a bag like that.

Good luck!

post-20762-0-07346000-1370054390_thumb.j

You might already be working on it, since your post is 2 weeks old.. but here's (a really rough) example of what the shape should be for the bottom of that tote, as well as an example of another simple option. (It's pretty apparent I have no idea how to use my drawing software..lol)

That bag is made with 3 pieces, it's a really good bag to start with, and will look very impressive. Try to make a mock-up out of paper first.. I've found that no matter how much planning I do, I always miscalculate.

If you're still looking for a step-by-step, reply and I will send you a really basic one for a bag like that.

Good luck!

Awesome! would love a step by step guide.

Thanks so much

Hey MB~

Did you get this figured out? You have a nice post from Char. Did you get your directions? It is a basic t-bottom tote (see on the bottom pattern there, if you look at half of it there is a T shape) If you are still having trouble maybe we could help you, but looks like those pattern pieces are a great start.

Kat

I think my biggest question is whether I should be making the bag inside out or not... and then flipping it at the end.

Or is it just best to make it without flipping it at the end???

What kind of look are you going for? Do you want your seam inside and hidden? Then sew it inside out and turn it when done. If you like the look of an exposed seam then just work on the outside and don't worry about it. How was that for wishy-washy, gave you both ways to do it. :wave:

Unless you are going to make it with super heavy leather, which I doubt. Those pictures look like quite workable leather. Just work it inside out and then turn it. It will be pliable enough to do that, especially that size of a tote.

You mentioned before the size of the gusset and base. See the cut outs where the T is made? Depending upon how big that is, it will determine both the gusset width and bottom width. Try taking a piece of paper and cut out a 1 " square out of the bottom two corners. Fold the edges from the top of the paper to the corner of cut and across the bottom from top of both cuts, it will bring the two cut edges together and tape it. You can now see 1/2 of your gusset and bottom. You have a 2" gusset and bottom Then try a 2" square, This will give you a 4" gusset and bottom. Am I explaining this where you can understand it? I am terrible putting what's in my head on to paper. Just make sure and add enough for your seam allowance once you determine your size.

Unless you are going to make it with super heavy leather, which I doubt. Those pictures look like quite workable leather. Just work it inside out and then turn it. It will be pliable enough to do that, especially that size of a tote.

You mentioned before the size of the gusset and base. See the cut outs where the T is made? Depending upon how big that is, it will determine both the gusset width and bottom width. Try taking a piece of paper and cut out a 1 " square out of the bottom two corners. Fold the edges from the top of the paper to the corner of cut and across the bottom from top of both cuts, it will bring the two cut edges together and tape it. You can now see 1/2 of your gusset and bottom. You have a 2" gusset and bottom Then try a 2" square, This will give you a 4" gusset and bottom. Am I explaining this where you can understand it? I am terrible putting what's in my head on to paper. Just make sure and add enough for your seam allowance once you determine your size.

Unfortunately what you said didnt make a whole lot of sense to me. But that might be party because im fairly new at leather working/bag making

I am so sorry. I did not mean to confuse you. No, no it's not your new-ness.

First let me try to explain a t-bottom. Look at Char's post above. The bottom sketch she has there, if you were to cut it in half horizontally, can you see the really fat distorted T? The corner of that T is what determines your sides and bottom. So let's try it this way. Take Char's drawing and cut it out, let's say8" H x 8"W [just so it is one piece of paper]. Where she [please excuse me is it's not] has the cut outs, make those 2" deep and 4" down. (a 2" x 4" cutout starting 2" down one side and the same on the opposite side) Now fold it in half longwise. So you have a 2 x 2" sq in each outside bottom corner. Now can you see the T? So where you folded it is the center of the bottom. If you take the top corner on the side [the cut out] and bring it the center fold and likewise the bottom top corner to the fold, tape that like you are stitching do you see the bottom of your tote starting to appear?

So it depends on how deep and wide those cut outs are to get your width and bottom. In this paper one you will end up with a 4" gusset and 4" bottom. But like I said, Don't forget to add seam allowance once you figure out how it is supposed to work.

Is this making any more sense? I do apologize, I can not explain what is going on in my head. It is like me trying to talk without moving my hands and arms. But I don't want to leave you confused. I have watched this board under a different name for years but now am producing we changed the name. But I truly understand the new part of this, it is quite exciting, yet frustrating at times. Let me know if this helps at all.

Okay I understand. And the exact same thing goes for the upper design with the triangle base being the size of the bottom of the bag.

In my head this is becoming more and more "doable". Im wondering if I should do it on some cheap leather and make a template before I use some nice leather.

test it it on either thin cardboard or cheap fabric first...even cheap leather is expensive ! Then if its right, unpick it and use as your template.

I dont bother stitching the template - i just use a stapler as its much quicker and works similarly to stitches.

There you go. You know you might try it with some scrap fabric . If you don't have any, go to the fabric store and ask them for the material to make reusable grocery bags. This stuff won't fray, is easy to work with, about $5 a yard [can get 2 to 4 out of a yard] and you will actually have something to use when you are done. Templates and/or patterns are never a bad idea either. Good Luck!