Sign in to follow this  
PAMuzzle

First Modern Holster

I made this for my brother. Kimber Solo. It is my first ever modern holster. It is covered in cognac Ostrich with a burgundy/brown Ostrich Leg reinforcement piece.

post-24334-0-41791300-1369030722_thumb.j

post-24334-0-99950600-1369030751_thumb.j

I shipped it to him in a cigar box I bought at a flea market ($2) solid Spanish Cedar

post-24334-0-96273300-1369030753_thumb.j

If you can see it I added an extra stitch line closer to the trigger guard.

I hand molded it, then used a vacuum clothing bag to vacuum mold it as I used a bone creaser to work the leather tighter into the bluegun.

Anyone work with Ostrich? Any suggestions to remove fur from back. I used a tabletop belt sander with shop vac to remove the fur. Also, when I started to dye the edge of the reinforcement piece, the dye soaked into the ostrich leg. Any suggestions to prevent that from happening?

Looks great! I've never worked with ostrich, but you can use a black permanent marker on the edges. Obviously, it doesn't soak in as well, but it gives a nice, clean line and won't bleed like dye will. I usually use a marker on the edge to get a nice clean transition, then I'll fill in the rest of the area with a dauber - just make sure you don't have too much dye on the dauber or you'll risk more bleeding.

Thanks guys.

I wanted to send it in a nice box and the cigar box was much nicer than ones I found at hobby stores (and a LOT cheaper)

Particle. I tried a marker on scrap piece and it did bleed in. Ostrich leg apparently is very absorbent. About the only thing that prevented bleeding was to use 50/50 diluted resolene. Seemed to prevent bleeding but still allowed to dye. Will experiment more with that before I try it on a holster again.

Edited by PAMuzzle

Are you burnishing the edges at all prior to applying your edge dye? I guess I forgot to mention that. I always burnish my edges first by dampening them with water, then sanding them smooth, then rubbing my burnishing stick over the edge. Once it dries, then I dye the edge. Give that a try and see if it helps.

Yes. I burnished them first.