wildrose

Messy workrooms

I keep looking at my workshop and trying the raise the courage to post a picture . . . but I can't . . . the embarrassment would be too much! :blush:

Here's what I'm working with currently:

DSC03256.JPG DSC03257.JPG

I manage to keep it relatively neat most of the time. It gets progressively worse the farther into the project I get. But I need to get my shop out of that room before I manage to stain the marble a deep Fiebings mahogany red! I've posted another thread with my new leather workshop plan. Check it out and feel free to point out any glaring omissions in my grand scheme.

post-6744-1221024912_thumb.jpg

post-6744-1221024940_thumb.jpg

I will have to take pix of mine once I have gotten back in there and done some real work. I just spent about a week cleaning it up totally.... vacuumed under my slab and everything...

ABN, you are welcome to come to my house and do a little "straightening" LOL

I'm LOL at Schno's comment on staining marble Mahogany...had that problem at our old house - even though it was my workroom, it was also the laundry room, and the tops of the washer and dryer were very colorful from staining things there...(I usually put down "protection", but stuff still managed to drip!) Oh, and the floor...hmmm, was nice clean linoleum when we'd moved in...

My biggest 'messy workroom' problem is mostly due to the extreme age of my house (built sometime in the 14th or 15th century) and the fact that the floors go up and down like a roller coaster ride. There is a 6" drop from one end of the room to the other with a 4inch drop between the outside wall and the centre of the room. This means my big green cutting bench slopes sharply backwards depositing everything rollable onto my lap - hence if you make a mess it all ends up on the floor.

The daftest thing I ever did was to get one of those rolling toolboxes (like mechanics use) as I thought I could get all my tools in the drawers and keep the place nice and tidy. I filled it up, sat down and started to work and then watched the thing slowly roll down the other end of the room... It is now chocked up and wedged into place!

my workshop is a converted gazebo outdoors, and it's on such a slope when I lift my feet off the ground my chair turns on it's own and rolls away from my desk! I've had to attach baskets on the edges of my work tables to catch the tools I set down. . . . it still catches me by surprise everytime one rolls away!

my workshop is a converted gazebo outdoors, and it's on such a slope when I lift my feet off the ground my chair turns on it's own and rolls away from my desk! I've had to attach baskets on the edges of my work tables to catch the tools I set down. . . . it still catches me by surprise everytime one rolls away!

:16: Oh, do I know that feeling... LOL!

Have you perfected the swooping hand movement that scoops dropping tools out of mid air? I can unstuck earlier today as I tried to catch my splitter (yes I know I should screw it to the bench, but I haven't decided precisely where it is going yet) and took a substantial chunk out of my thumb with the unprotected blade. :ranting2: I certainly won't be doing that again in a hurry. in fact, baskets sound like a VERY good idea... :Lighten:

:evillaugh: I make no excuses about meself or my way of life. This is my room/workshop!!! The rest of my home can be quite a mess too.

Normally the desktop areas and the floor isnot this much cluttered but I'm on my third or forth project over last week so..

My working desktop was not cluttered this morning, today was lot of stitching, punching lacing holes, tooling, measuring, checking with patterns, cutting material, touch ups, colouring etc so I did manage to pull out a lot of stuff over it. At midday I was standing in my morning dress (morningrobe??) outside in the rain putting down the makers mark to the bottom of the box I'm doing, lol. I go out with it because it's so noisy and I suffer from tinnitus. Luckily no neighbours passed by.

Me and my girlfriend was just discussing this five minutes ago. About why there are certain people who's homes often is quite messy and why we belong to that category.

Tom

That's an impressive slab of marble, Tom! But, I did notice that it's time to change your calendar!

:16: Oh, do I know that feeling... LOL!

Have you perfected the swooping hand movement that scoops dropping tools out of mid air? I can unstuck earlier today as I tried to catch my splitter (yes I know I should screw it to the bench, but I haven't decided precisely where it is going yet) and took a substantial chunk out of my thumb with the unprotected blade. :ranting2: I certainly won't be doing that again in a hurry. in fact, baskets sound like a VERY good idea... :Lighten:

yes! I also find when I'm most distracted, my reflexes take over and I catch more than I drop. I've also found I tend to drop tools in my lap more and more when I'm really busy, and my boyfriend says it's looks a tad strange to see me reach down and pull out tool after tool. . .and if I stand up suddenly . . .yikes.

That's an impressive slab of marble, Tom! But, I did notice that it's time to change your calendar!

Ha ha thanks alot. This explains why I'm confused about time (I posted something about time in a thread about meetings in the live chat).

I could just fold it up to the back and keep that beautiful Eddie hanging there and still have room for this years playboy calendar :Lighten:

Got my marble "slab" from a buddy who cleansed up after his father who passed away. It's from an old table and I like it because I don't have to raise my shoulders up too much to get the tools down properly on the slab, wich I felt with the stone slab I used before getting the table slab. So now I owe him a fishing rod tube he he that's what the bigger of those tubes seen in pic is for.

Tom

Well- I don't know if I will win the prize for the messiest. I have to admit - this is bad, even for me. I usually leave everything out until I am done then do a cleaning. The hubby and I share the basement for our projects.

My area:Workshop.JPG

(Did anyone hear Alex hitting the floor?)

His area:hubbys_workshop.JPG

(Please take note - everything is labeled...)

Crystal

post-6163-1221228506_thumb.jpg

post-6163-1221228538_thumb.jpg

Wow! I feel better already Crystal!

:o You rule in my book for messiness. (and they say that's a sign of genius, after all...)

Well- I don't know if I will win the prize for the messiest. I have to admit - this is bad, even for me. I usually leave everything out until I am done then do a cleaning. The hubby and I share the basement for our projects.

My area:Workshop.JPG

(Did anyone hear Alex hitting the floor?)

His area:hubbys_workshop.JPG

(Please take note - everything is labeled...)

Crystal

Your husband is my hero ! Nice toys.

Maybe I've been seeing too many episodes of Murder She Wrote, But that looks like duct tape and a knife to the left of hubby's bench and I think he's looking for more space. Be Careful!!! Kevin

Your husband is my hero ! Nice toys.

I will be sure to tell him!

Maybe I've been seeing too many episodes of Murder She Wrote, But that looks like duct tape and a knife to the left of hubby's bench and I think he's looking for more space. Be Careful!!! Kevin

Yeah, Kevin - that has me a bit concerned... he offered to allow me to move to the "war room" with my stuff to get it out of the dining room. But I did notice that MY work space is beside the antique 1959 oil furnace and also (not pictured) almost on top of crates of ammo. Think I need to call and see what my insurace policy is currently valued at?

I am going down and doing a bit of cleaning this evening - at least putting anything flamable away. Well- maybe cleaning up a bit more than just that. :)

OMG, I'm not even going to post pics of my den of iniquity-it would give the neat leatherworkers the screaming heebie jeebies. Theres always a swept up pile of stuff on the floor, usually 2 days worth. I always go thru everything before tossing to see if I've dropped a life eye needle, or whatever in the sweepings.

There was a thing I read in an old muzzle loader magazine in regard to a world reknowned black powder rifle maker.....the author stated that this man was truly talented,and that his workbench looked like the 4th level of an archeological dig because he was too busy creating stuff to clean. I guess Ive pretty much adopted that rule even though it drives my wife nuts...

I have gotten better tho, I cant let it go any longer than 2 days now..or I spend all my time hunting for things

Steve

My workshop is a little different than most. I currently live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my 5 year old daughter, my entire working setup is either integrated with the furniture (you have to get creative when you have a lack of space) or can be folded up and slid into a closet (see the sadlemaking section for mention of my idea that worked quite well for a draw down stand) and my "bench" if you will consists of a marble slab and the kitchen table at the moment, but I've worked out of bigger shops over the years.