Sign in to follow this  
Ferg

My New Singer 29-4

About halfway through the build on this little beauty. You folks who like to see the Vintage Singers refurbed to their original

beauty will not like this I imagine.

That said:

I have wanted a Vintage Singer Patcher for some time. Had the opportunity and decided to build it with a Servo motor.

The table is somewhat like the many presented on the forum except the top and the bottom are made of 1 3/4" solid

Hard Rock Maple. Pedestal is 4" square steel tubing with 1/4" steel plates on the ends. Pedestal is not welded.

Obtained a Digital Servo Motor from Bob Kovar, same one on my Skiving machine. I have a few decals for the machine,

unfortunately I haven't been able to find a complete set for the 29-4. Stripped the finish off the head. Seems it had been

spray canned several times. A few screws were not original, replaced them as well as a new Bobbin Winder. I did not

disassemble the head to refinish it. Masked all of the parts not requiring paint finish and sprayed it. Masked the drive pulleys

and large hand wheel, haven't decided if I will repaint the large wheel but will not do the smaller drive pulleys.

The maple will be finished with Poly Urethane. Maple has not been finish sanded or the edges shaped at this point in time.

Anxious to show the progress to someone outside my family. My wife actually thinks it is a beauty. :)

post-15740-0-70014600-1369531240_thumb.j post-15740-0-17931600-1369531266_thumb.j

Thanks for looking,

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

Nice!

Excellent.

Nice!

Beautiful coming from a Singer addict. Cheryl

EagleScout,

These machines were never intended for heavy production. They are Patchers. Will sew into the end of a boot or shoe and even a glove to fix a tear or bad threads. Great for sewing recognition patches on jackets and shirts.

It is said they will max out at 1/4". Anything below that would be a plus. I want to use it for sewing small items and little gussets. The needle hole in the Needle Plate is 1/8" from the end of the arm.

Only one foot design available for it as far as I know, it has teeth that will mark most any leather. Wiz suggested I use the tool handle dip on the teeth to smooth it out. I think the "dip" will normally give it enough traction since the notched foot is the only thing moving the material.

The 29-4 has a small bobbin, it holds 21 feet of #69 thread. With the digital servo I can slow it down to one stitch at a time if I wish.

My knees and ankles have long passed the ability to sew with a treadle driven machine thus the servo.

I love machinery of most any kind, this little machine is priceless in it's simplicity. That is probably why they have been around for over 100 years.

ferg

Edited by 50 years leather

Wow, this 29-4 setup is really inspirational. I have a 29K that I need to mount somehow and this seems like a great way to go!

Quick questions: how is the 4" square pipe attached to the 1/4" steel plates at the end if they are not welded? Did the square pipe come like that? Where did you get it?

I drilled 3/8" holes at the inside corner locations of the 4x 4 post on the end plates, cut 3/8" All Thread to one inch longer than the total length of post plus end plate thickness, used Jam nuts on the All Thread tightening them to secure the plates to the post. We have a great metal supply shop close by, they cut the post and plates for me.

The jam nuts rest in holes drilled into the 1 3/4" top and bottom so the plates can be lag screwed in place.

This is link to finished unit. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=48492&hl=ferg

ferg