LeatherHead99

Other Alternatives For Waxing Thread?

Is there and alternative product to waxing thread other than using beeswax. Only place I can find it is in the local craft store for $18 a pound..in the candle making section. Are there any other good alternatives that can be used? Possibly something you can get from the local hardware store.

Thanks

You only need a small amount. Most hardware stores sell small 1oz blocks

Buy a single beeswax candle for a couple dollars.

Look up honey on Craigs list and call the local beekeper and ask to buy a little. I paid $35 and got more than would fit in a gallon pail a while back. Should have wax for life.

Aaron

The beekeeper sounds like a good idea.. I'll give that a try, hopefully they sell it in smaller buckets.. lol.......I thought of the candle idea, but I wasn't sure if they were different formulas or not.

The store I found the $18 brick was Michael's Crafts and they often give out 40% of any item coupons in the Sunday paper.So, about $12 bucks an ounce. That seems to be the going rate online.

I did find that Joann Fabrics sell some online and one comes in a nifty little clear protective case with slits cut in it to guide your string through.. The case alone seems like it would "bee" nice to have.

Beeswax Container from Joann Fabrics $2.99

I wasn't sure if there were other options besides beeswax. Maybe a common household item... I asked because the pre-waxed thread I bought from Tandy seemed a bit dry. I did't have any wax on hand or beeswax candles.

Thanks again

Give Bennett's a call, their wax is very clean, you can melt it down and shape it however you want and in whatever size you want.

http://www.bennetthoney.com/CandlesnSoap.html

I use wax toilet bowl ring for waxing thread cheap and lasts forever.

I use wax toilet bowl ring for waxing thread cheap and lasts forever.

I forgot about that. Bowl wax is ususlly pure bees wax and very cheap. Get a new one though, a used one may be cheaper but tends to be very icky.

:16:

LOL ya I would not want to use a second hand one :rofl:

Another vote for toilet bowl rings. It's what I make my wax/oil finish with too. And my burnishing wax. If it's too sticky and soft melt it 50/50 with paraffin and it gets more manageable. Which is also what the burnishing wax recipe is.

Take a look at "Lighthouse_Honey_Farms" on eBay. They will have any quality for a reasonable price that you might want. -- Tex

Another vote for toilet bowl rings. It's what I make my wax/oil finish with too. And my burnishing wax. If it's too sticky and soft melt it 50/50 with paraffin and it gets more manageable. Which is also what the burnishing wax recipe is.

Yep that is exactly what I use for burnishing and wax finishing. I never tried hardening it up with paraffin tho but it sounds like a good idea because it can be a bit of a mess when using it for slicking the edges however it penetrates good too

I have also in the past used s block of paraffin for burnishing the edges too and works well

Interesting idea that, a toilet wax seal. I'll have to try that since I have a new one around somewhere. Now I just have to find it.

Stuff lasts forever. Bought maybe a dozen 1inch square blocks 3 years ago, still using my first block. Found other uses for it like mixing it with paraffin and linseed oil to treat metal tools like axe's etc..

On 30/05/2013 at 9:08 PM, electrathon said:

I forgot about that. Bowl wax is ususlly pure bees wax and very cheap. Get a new one though, a used one may be cheaper but tends to be very icky.

Old post, but wow! You learn something new on leatherworker.net every day! Pure beeswax! I presume it would be treated in some way or another to 'stabilise' it?