Is there a well-recommended thread here on the board?

I'm interested in Tiger Thread as Ian Atkinson of Leodis Leather recommends it, but I can't find a place to order it in the US.

My project is a satchel, and I want at least 1 mm nylon thread, if not polyester for the strength.

Thanks!

I use tiger thread as well and I've only ever been able to find it at Abbey England, there are a couple of other ones they are Amann Serabraid, you will have to email the Amann US office and see if they can can give you a local supplier as they only seem to be set up for wholesale. The other one is the Tandy braided cord it's slightly wider than Tiger but has the same feel to sew with.

There are a few other braided threads around but they aren't located in the US either so the Serabraid or Tandy stuff is probably going to be the easiest for you to try and get.

I've had good luck with this polyester waxed thread. http://springfieldleather.com/29843/Thread%2CWax%2CPoly%2CBlack%2C4oz/ I use this with CS Osborne #2 harness needles. http://www.zackwhite.com/Harness-Needles-Sizes-21_p_864.html Nigel Armitage (user "Dangerous Beans" herein), who's hand stitching videos are a treasure trove of information and must-viewing for all hand stitchers prefers bonded nylon thread. I've been trying that recently as well. I've found that #207 bonded nylon thread also works well with those same #2 harness needles. It's cheaper in the long run than the above polyester waxed thread and it's the same diameter. http://springfieldleather.com/26066/Thread%2CBlack%2C%23207%2C1lb/ It is meant for a sewing machine so you need to wax it, but it holds up well for long runs of stitching. A 1lb spool would last a hundred years or so. :)

I use the ,2 needlesas well however I like the waxed nylon artificial sinew because it can be split to make any gauge thread you need

it takes a little extra work by having to twist up the thread but I really like ithttp://springfieldleather.com/store/search.asp

Thgis person is selling Tiger thread http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=47600&hl=%2Btiger+%2Bthread not cheap $10.00 for 20 meters and they include 2 004 harness needles.

Nigel Armitage (user "Dangerous Beans" herein), who's hand stitching videos are a treasure trove of information and must-viewing for all hand stitchers prefers bonded nylon thread. I've been trying that recently as well.

In the videos I've watched the thread definitely looks like Tiger so unless he has some other ones it's polyester not nylon. http://www.abbeyengland.com/Store/tabid/77/CategoryID/202/Category2ID/27/Level/2/Default.aspx

cem, Nige clearly states that he prefers Tiger Bonded Nylon thread at 9:51 on this video.

http://youtu.be/zeQt-nvLWyo

Edited by silverwingit

Yes I have seen that video did you look at the link I posted Tiger thread is polyester, this is the manufacturers website http://www.juliuskoc...wing-thread.php Nigel makes great videos and I've passed on the links to a few people who wanted to learn leather hand sewing but if you want nylon thread Tiger is not. Abbey sells nylon thread as well but it is not the Tiger/Ritza 25 brand. The nylon thread is on different shaped holders and ones Nigel shows in the video are clearly the Tiger/Ritza 25 holders.

This is a label from one of mine

post-4562-0-72565100-1370142856_thumb.jp

and the actual thread, note the holders

post-4562-0-03053800-1370143475_thumb.jp

Edited by cem

Hi, cem - Clearly you are up on on Tiger threads. I guess Nige must be confused, though knowing him that seems unlikely. I guess I'll just ask him to clarify. Thanks, Michelle

Yup... I get confused... Guys throughout my videos I give things new names.

I do clarify this in one of my videos and if you can spot it you get to name an Artic Penguin.

I use Tiger thread, it's bonded polyester even if I have referred to it as nylon.

My apologies if I've created confusion, that said... It's unlikely I'll stop!

Charts are available for Nigel's senior moments bingo upon request, get four in a row and win a lollipop!

Nige

They ship to me in Australia so they should ship to the US, It's been awhile since I've had to order any but I think my last postage cost was about 18 pounds that was for a few rolls though. I would think it would be a cheaper shipping to the US.

Hi.

Just starting out and having fun with leather working - Massive thanks to Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson for some excellent videos!

Where do people buy tiger thread in the UK? Create a 'company' account at Abbey?

I'm starting with watch straps, cuffs, wallets and belts. I'm thinking 0.8mm tiger should do that? should I also grab some 1mm for belts?

I've got some 'size 30' nylon coming from le provo (great customer support so far) :)

Complete newbie. be gentle :)

Hi Renoir

I created an account with Abbey reasonably easily & have ordered some bits & pieces from them.

Unfortunately the Tiger thread comes in quite big spools - & therefore a considered purchase. I didn't want to commit to that much before trying some out, different sizes etc, so whilst searching found a link to Ian Atkinson's shop on Etsy where he sells the thread in smaller amounts. Obviously you pay a little more per metre, but it's a great way of trying it out for colours/thicknesses etc.

Hope this helps.

Bev

EDIT: Forgot to say I think his shop is under the Leodis Leather banner.

Edited by Bev478

Hi.

Just starting out and having fun with leather working - Massive thanks to Nigel Armitage and Ian Atkinson for some excellent videos!

Where do people buy tiger thread in the UK? Create a 'company' account at Abbey?

I'm starting with watch straps, cuffs, wallets and belts. I'm thinking 0.8mm tiger should do that? should I also grab some 1mm for belts?

I've got some 'size 30' nylon coming from le provo (great customer support so far) :)

Complete newbie. be gentle :)

Yes, you can create an account at Abbey

I've used 0.8 & 0.6 tiger thread for wallets in the past, I do like smaller looking stitching though, it depends how many stitches per inch you are planning to use, the higher the SPI the thiner the thread

I can chuck some over for you to have a look at if you want, PM me your details & I'll post some out so you can see/compare the sizes

Yep :)

I've created an account with abbey, they do some nice stuff!

I notice the large spools too - I'm getting to grips with a couple of projects first before going the 'whole hog'. I think I'll probably try out a short length from Ian Atkinson to see how much nicer it is :)

Ian has a great site and a whole set of useful info!

Edited by Renoir