gogowanda

Glue Line Never Goes Away...

hi all,

I'm new to leathercrafts, picked up my first set of stuff from my local Tandy here in Atl and I'm determined to make a perfect long wallet.

I've made two prototypes, both made with veg tanned leather ~3oz. The first one i finished the edge with just Gum and 2nd one i stained it with tan color. Now the problem is, they all had glue lines. I used ecoweld from Tandy and did sand the glued edge before burnish (as suggested by Rusty in springfield's youtube video). As soon as i started to burnish the edge, the glue line will appear again and I can feel the glue if i run my finger on the edge.

Is it the glue i'm using that caused this problem? Or should I just leave the edge out when I'm applying the glue? I realized the edge is probably the most important part to show the level of craftsmanship so i really want to get it down. Please help!

thanks

Daz

Sand it out and re-burnish.

what about the crayon? have you guys tried that?

Have not used crayon, I sand, dye and then burnish.

switched to contact cement (tanner's bond) and the line was less pronounced, thanks for all the advice. I also found it's quicker to use canvas to bring up the shine than using wood slicker.

also order a magic eraser form Springfield Leather, it will take dried or semi dried cement off of leather and dont forget the leather bleach too. Sometimes just rubbing with the eraser isn't enough, there will still be a spot where the cement was and you won't see it untill you apply the dye then its too late. Rub with the eraser, then wash and give a good scrubbing in the area where the cement was let dry and continue on.