This is the pattern and sizes for the Waylon Jennings Strap and most guitar straps with a buckle and wide for names. Feel free to modify the widths to your wishes! This is just a basic design. I hope this helps answer some questions. I have been making guitar straps for a long time and this is one of my favourites. Personally I prefer my front strap end a little wider and shorter...but like I said feel free to modify what you want! I am just trying to help the newer folks and people just getting into straps. As you can see on the Ronnie Hymes strap; since he plays a jumbo acoustic like I do I tapered the front of the strap more.

Good Luck and HAPPY POUNDING!

IMPORTANT MEASURING TIPS!

1.Always measure hole to hole for clients straps, so you have a overall length. The buckle adjustment and extension strap length can vary. But always use that 1st measurement as a guid to have as a middle point in the buckle holes. Incase they change the guitar and the profile is different and lengths need to be different for say an Acoustic or a Strat..

2. Always measure from the front hole to the Collar bone on you/Clients if this is for a customer for NAME STRAPS. the worst thing is if the name ends up going up over the shoulder. So ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make that measurement!

Feel free to ask questions there are enough of us here that can lend an ear and spout some comments.

Cheers!

Chancey

post-28433-0-82017300-1370029288_thumb.j

post-28433-0-01377400-1370029294_thumb.j

post-28433-0-93134900-1370029305_thumb.j

post-28433-0-41680200-1370029320_thumb.j

post-28433-0-96739300-1370029470_thumb.j

post-28433-0-97617300-1370029644_thumb.j

post-28433-0-93308600-1370029806_thumb.j

post-28433-0-07728100-1370029827_thumb.j

Edited by chancey77

PLEASE PIN!

nice info. My wife a few years back made one for Brad Johnson, who gave it to Willy Nelson as a present.

Great post Chancey...........You do, do it RIGHT

Ahh. Pictures make it so much easier for people to get. Now I can reference here instead of trying to put my plan into words for people :)

Anytime folks! This isn't my personal designs as far as I see it they are open territory! So enjoy!

Thanks!

This is practically a full tutorial, pictures are a big help. Thanks.

I have someone that asked for a 60" from hole to hole. What would the measurements of the main strap be? I guess if you made it 52" and the buckle strap 14" that would give you enough adjustment.

Edited by coop

I guess if you made it 52" and the buckle strap 14" that would give you enough adjustment.

Well, that would give him 6" of adjustment if my math is right. So, now lay that out on some poster board and try it out :)

remember to add some extra length to that buckle strap though, to account for the fold over on the buckle.

Edited by Cyberthrasher

I have someone that asked for a 60" from hole to hole. What would the measurements of the main strap be? I guess if you made it 52" and the buckle strap 14" that would give you enough adjustment.

I actually make the main strap the full length then add the attachment half the length of the tail. IF YOU HAVE A PIECE OF LEATHER THAT IS 60'' :) but ball parked is ok as well as long as the extension hole to hole =60...

2. Always measure from the front hole to the Collar bone on you/Clients if this is for a customer for NAME STRAPS. the worst thing is if the name ends up going up over the shoulder. So ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make that measurement!

Great tip!!!

I've already had that problem :(

Great tip!!!

I've found that a lot of customers can't seem to find their shoulder/collar bone....so I tell them to measure to the armpit. That ENSURES that they'll give me a measurement I can work with. A lot of times, I end up using the measurement they gave me and mixing that with the total length, then combining that with my knowledge of what type of music they like to play (it eventually comes up when working with them) in order to gauge they're playing height. All of that combined gives me a pretty good baseline to know where the artwork will need to be, especially when considering how much some people move around. Even if the artwork is below the shoulder, if it's too high then you risk having it spend a lot of time over the shoulder anyway as they move around and raise the neck up and down. I've even had some who were ordering straps as presents for their family and were able to get the overall length, but not the arm measurement. So, that's where a lot of that information comes into play. So far I've nailed it every time ;)

Also a good question to ask is how tall they are! I have noticed 80% of everyone plays with a strap that is as long as they are TALL so if they cant for some reason get measurements like as if it is a secret gift,...knowing how tall the person is will help...then if it is a name don't make it any bigger than 11" and you SHOULD BE SAFE...hahahaha

Also a good question to ask is how tall they are! I have noticed 80% of everyone plays with a strap that is as long as they are TALL......

That would be one HUGE strap for me!!!! :)

Luckily they've always been able to sneak a measurement of the current strap. It's that arm measurement that gets pretty tricky sometimes.

I had one that was for his little girl's birthday. I took he length measurement and adjusted my daughter's nylon strap to match, then slapped it on her to measure that way. My daughter's a bit older, but she's TINY and build like a girl half her age. Once again, I got lucky and came out perfect.

On 10/4/2013 at 11:37 AM, geckostraps said:

Great tip!!!

Is there a way to guesstimate this measurment to the collar bone ? I plan on making one for my daughter for Christmas.

Edited by ToddMaine
add