silverwingit

"stretching" Stitch Length To Meet Corners

A question for you sewing machine experts: I am far more used to hand stitching than I am with my new Cobra 4. In general, I am doing fine with this lion of machine, but I don't know how to handle a common scenario with it. Since I lack a way to precisely calculate and then set the stitch length for a particular run so that stitches will end exactly at a corner, I often end too short or worse, too long as I approach the corner. With hand stitching I know several ways to adjust the length of the stitches "on the fly" so that they end where I want them to, while "hiding" longer or shorter stitches. I see lots of examples of projects sewn by a 441 clone that do have the stitches end right at a corner but I can't figure out how it's done. Any help?

Not an expert but: One thing I did when I first got my machine was to use a stitch wheel at corners to give me a visual as I approached a corner which made it easier to gauge my stitches, and whether to crunch or stretch the last few. As you use your stitcher more, you will get better at guessing.

I sew with a pfaff but this method, should work with your cobra. As you are sewing and approaching an up coming corner slow down to where your last stitch will be at the corner,stop the machine, let the needle come out of your work,and raise your presserfoot ,make a judgement if the last corner stitch will long or short, If to long move your work to exact location you want the corner stitch, and bring the needle down by palming the handwheel, now lower your presserfoot let needle go down in your work and come up about a 1/3 of travel, stop, release presserfoot, turn your work, and commence sewing. If your last stitch to the corner is to short, do essentially the same thing, stop raise presserfoot, again move your work to the exact location of the corner and align the needle, lower presserfoot, let the needle travel all the way down and 1/3 up, raise presser foot, turn your work, lower presser foot and continue sewing. hope this helps. steve

Thanks, Gents! :) SooperJake, just how one stretches or crunches stitches accurately is what I've been trying to figure out. steveh, I have tried lifting the presserfoot but with some of my larger, more clumsy projects, it's very difficult not only to adjust stitch length but to simply keep the stitches in line.The Cobra 4 has a stitch length/direction adjustment lever. I have been trying to come up with a reproducible method using that lever where I could, for example, put a long stitch a few stitches back from the corner, but then have the last stitch end precisely at the corner. That would draw less attention to the stretched stitch, not having it right at a corner. That's what I'd do if I were hand stitching.

Thanks, Gents! :) SooperJake, just how one stretches or crunches stitches accurately is what I've been trying to figure out. steveh, I have tried lifting the presserfoot but with some of my larger, more clumsy projects, it's very difficult not only to adjust stitch length but to simply keep the stitches in line.The Cobra 4 has a stitch length/direction adjustment lever. I have been trying to come up with a reproducible method using that lever where I could, for example, put a long stitch a few stitches back from the corner, but then have the last stitch end precisely at the corner. That would draw less attention to the stretched stitch, not having it right at a corner. That's what I'd do if I were hand stitching.

I would not touch the stitch length / directional lever, if it set for six stitches per inch leave it there,stop the machine and move your work to the needle this will compensate for the stitch length. trying to compensate for stitch length by changing the lever would just be very difficult in my opinion. I may not be explaining it correctly, steve

OK, then steveh, I'm going to try that again, concentrating on lifting the presserfoot and moving my workpiece , then lowering the presserfoot again to resume stitching. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Michelle