On the June challenge I want you to step out side of your comfort zone. we are going to make things that would have been used during the time period of 1000 AD to 1500 AD.

Things that would have been used are shoes, pouches, armor ether leather, plate mail or chain mail. shields, clothing, quivers, you name it. I thought this was a good challenge. I have done a belt and a pouch and a snood, a snood is an old style hair net. In this challenge i am going to try and make a sheath for my viking sward, This is a challenge for me because i am still looking for info on how to make a period sheath for the sward.

the tools that would have been used during the time period would have been made by a black smith, natural carving rocks and two needles and thread.the closest things to the tools that would have been used are, a pairing knife, a pair of shears for cutting. so you can use a knife, needles and thread, glue and hand made decorative tools.

post-40311-0-59335000-1370069884_thumb.j

post-40311-0-24014300-1370069892_thumb.j

post-40311-0-47022000-1370069899_thumb.j

Edited by celticpride

Darn.............and I was looking forward to making a belly dancing outfit!!

There have been way too many conversations about cross dressing lately you guys! Is there something you would like to share?? :helpsmilie:

ROFL, i'd say a chastity belt would fit right in. I have decided I'm going to make some soft shoes, similar to moccasins from hair-on-hide leather. The tools I'll be using, age appropriate as possible is a knife, shears, needled and thread, and glue. Anyone who wants to give this same project a shot we can muddle through it together. Or I'll carry on alone but I might end up with two left shoes. Oh and fringe will be veg tanned died with vinegaroon. The didn't have the ever popular steel wool we use today but that doesn't mean they didn't have cider and rusted metals. Off we go!!!!! Cheryl

I suppose I could finish the necklace I've got going. I'll have to do some supplier-finding before I can give more details--what I'd like to do as first choice will depend greatly on whether I can find the bits I need, same for second and third choice.

yes a chastity belt is period, and Cheryl there is no fringe for the time period that is more modern from the 1950's invention. and yes if you want to make a belly dancing out fit go ahead because they are period for the time, just don't forget if you do make a belly dancing out fit there are male belly dancer's. jewelry is a great idea just remember to do some research on how the jewelry was made for the time period. If any one want any information on the out fits or armor or any thing that would deal with the time period you can check out this group on face book. www.facebook.com/groups/195046376566/ or you can go to www.sca.org these are a great place to go for research.

Oh, if the focus is the Middle Ages in Europe, my necklace won't be any good at all.

it doesn't matter on where in the world it is as long as the time period is between 1000 AD to 1500 AD. if you want to show your necklace go for it as long as it was done the way it would have been made during the time period.

I think we all would like to see what every one is going to make. I hope you all have fun. :thumbsup:

This is the leather I'm using for my shoes, including the veg tanned for soles. I'm hoping I won't have to piece it anywhere although they will be multicolored. I think if I cut it right I shouldn't have to. And as told, no fringe on this :)

post-27490-0-21017000-1370290766_thumb.j

post-27490-0-84652600-1370290774_thumb.j

that will work and don't forget try to use a knife, shears, needles and thread.

Ahhh. Alas a challenge befitting me talents. I shall accept thy gauntlet from the field and begin at once upon the project. (<----- Runs off to the sneaky lair)

Ok, so I completed my pouch before the end of the month, I know, but I have weekend events happening all the rest of the month so used today to do the challenge project. Pictures with details can be found at http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=1860 and I am in the chatroom, should anyone have questions.

Still waiting for pictures :) LOL

Ok, Ok.

June Chal 1

June Chal 2

June Chal 3

June Chal 4

june chal 5

June Chal 6

June Chal 7

June Chal 8

June Chal 9

I love this, I really do. Would love to have some of those stone looking buttons :)

The button IS stone.

Do you know some where they can be bought Faire?

Etsy among other places.

Thanks Faire, got some. Cheryl

Where is all the other work? How about the commentary? Nothing? Listens to the crickets chirping.

Too true. Sorry Faire I am going to try and work on my mocs today. I got some black elk to make them out of and then I'm going to sew the hair on hide to them afterward. I have other things I should be doing but I actually want the shoes and would make a great statement at the farmer's market. I'll try to post some pics later of the WIP. C'mon folks let's get going!

So ends the June Challenge. One entrant lifted the gauntlet cast upon the field and accepted. Therefore, I believe tis my right to cast the next Gauntlet. Look for July Challenge in the Forums!

So ends the June Challenge. One entrant lifted the gauntlet cast upon the field and accepted. Therefore, I believe tis my right to cast the next Gauntlet. Look for July Challenge in the Forums!

Yup, I think a few that had accepted the challenge have dropped the ball! I guess there's July...