mellykelly

Walking Foot Damage To Leather

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me. Given my disastrous attempts at hand sewing and the volume of horse bridles and brown bands I am making I have acquired an old Singer Cobbler treadle machine (circa 1922) which is working well except for one thing - the walking foot makes horrible grooves in my leather. Does anyone have any suggestions for remedying this problem?

most machines leave presser foot marks, use a smooth foot, polish the foot and grind sharp edges to a radius. lightly moisten your leather where the tracks are let it case a little them rub the tracks out with a rub stick.

Thanks for that. Does anyone know where to get antique presser feet for singers? I'm not game to grind down the only one I have.

If you are talking about a model 29 - , Don't grind the walking foot ,it is the only feed you have. Gump

Reduce the presser foot pressure, but not so much that the foot lifts when the needle is pulling out. Lower pressure, less marking. Don't use wet leather. Use a spoon to smooth out the tracks, or a flat faced hammer to tap them flat.

Tom

Thanks for that - I didn't think of the spoon. I reduced the pressure on the foot and the marks are slightly less but still there. Is it better to dye the leather before sewomg together or put together then dye. Sorry for the dumb questions but I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks.

You will nearly always get some marks with soft leather. Try reducing the presser foot pressure some more. If the needle lifts the leather as it is being pulled out, and lifts the presser foot, add a little pressure back.

Dyeing before assembly lets you work with flat surfaces and is easier. You can touch up a little after assembly if needed and if careful. After assembly, you can trim edges to match, dye and burnish.

Tom

Wiz has posted in the past that you can coat the foot in a liquid rubber compound such as "Tool Magic" which is available in beading shops.

I have done this on a patcher I sell which has much worse feet than a 29k and it works well.

Normally I point people to the US supplier/sponsors here but I hope nobody minds me flying my own flag. I have feet and other parts for this machine here in Australia

Feel free to email me: darren@ablesewing.com.au

Moderators feel free to delete if I am breaking any rules.

Thanks for that - I didn't think of the spoon. I reduced the pressure on the foot and the marks are slightly less but still there. Is it better to dye the leather before sewomg together or put together then dye. Sorry for the dumb questions but I have only been doing this for a couple of weeks.

I just got a 29K & had the same issue with the foot leaving marks on the leather. The machine came with a brand new spare foot, so I took my Dremel to the old one & ground it completely smooth, and rounded the edges. It still feeds fine and leaves only the slightest mark on the leather, nothing a spoon can't fix.