You folks are a wealth of information here. Don't know how long I have been lurking in the shadows. Didn't seem I had much to offer with my kind of leather work. But now I come begging. I have read through most every pertaining to this machine to try and get it back to working. My dad thought he was doing me a favor, even bought it from family, so there should be no problems. Yeah, well maybe not very many. She only sewed canvas with 137 and you can see where it was 'fixed' for only that application. I am not asking it to go through 6 oz veg tan. I am working with 2-3 oz, skived leather. It should go through it like butter. I am only making handbags.

The top tension unit literally fell apart in my hands, so I replaced the whole unit. Still when I sew the top thread loops pretty bad on the bottom. All the advise I get says tighten the top tension, but there is absolutely no bobbin tension and I know that's not right. After reading anything and everything I could, I do believe the timing is ok, but that is the only good thing. I found a screw missing for the tension on the bobbin. You can pull it out like there is nothing holding it. I replaced those two screws. The felt washer was missing, replaced it and one other thing I can't remember now. But it is the same problem. I am thinking I should just take out that whole unit, bobbin case, hook, etc. and replace it. Is that just throwing more money into the boat anchor? We do not have a service man within 295 miles. I even offered to take it to him, but I can only realistically take the head and he has nothing to run it. It could be such a great machine, I want it fixed so bad. Where on earth do I start? Trying to keep getting my own parts and working or finding someone I could ship it to and be sure it is done right? I know they aren't worth much, lots less than new for sure, but am I going to put more into it that it is worth? I have 101 questions, but I will just stop here and hope some of you will take pity on me and point me in the right direction. (Umm, I make really good fudge, if that helps incentivize anyone ;)

Thanks so much folks,

Kat

I would say you don't have it threaded correctly. Either you don't have the thread set into the upper tension disc deep enough, or it's a problem with the take up lever.

Thank you so much. I have tried several threads and many re-threadings according to the manual. The problem was the same with the old upper tension unit and the new. I don't think that is it, but perhaps the take up lever. I will see what I can find about it.

I must say it did sew at one point, I actually seen it and sewed with it. But I think the move and/or movers may not have helped, maybe it was storage. I cleaned and oiled it and serviced it according to the army (I think) manual.

Kat you may want to read Eric's thread on "Rebirth of a Singer 211G155" that is my machine he is working on. I had many of the same issues/problems like yours. Everyone here is very helpful and if you can post specific issues with pictures, I am sure you will get help. Just my .02 worth. Mia

I just got a consew in this week that the lady was having similar problems with. Truned the needle around so the groove was on the correct side and it sews like a champ. Scarf always to the hook, don't cost much to check. thread from groove side to scarf side.

Good day to you both Miss Mia and Mr. Cox.

I am pretty sure yours is the one I have been watching, hoping it would give me the answers I desperately need. But hard as I try, no luck yet.\

I went down and changed the needle and made sure it was as you said, scarf to the hook. The top stitch looks so nice, but then aarrgh! the bottom is full of pretty loops.

Thank you so much for your posts.You folks (all inclusive) are great!

Mia's machine had multiple complex issues. Yours may be simple. When I get time..heh..I'll post a list of things for you to check. Is there any way you can take a picture and post it here of what your stitches look like top and bottom? That will get us started.

Regards, Eric

Most probable issue is that the whole tension unit is pushed in too far. When the foot lifts the tension is released so you need to position it so that the tension plates do not release until they are well above the normal working height.