oclack

The Mythical Tiger/ritza Thread...

I have 500m rolls available. If anyone interested drop me a line.

Kind regards

We have 1.0 and 0.8mm black and white in stock, and can special order any other color. Price is $45 a spool including shipping.

I have ordered from http://www.abbeyengland.com and was happy with how it went. I paid 12 pounds per 500 meter roll of Ritza 25, 1mm diameter. I ordered about $120 worth of supplies total and paid about $15 shipping. The parcel took about 12 days from date I ordered it. I created a trade account. The prices for trade account are lowest.

How does this look?

25 m for $7.00.

I generally buy the waxed thread from a small Tandy distributor but it is short and not often in stock. I would like to grab a few colours. Does anyone have an image of what .6 mm looks like in a project?

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me what mm Thread I need for a 3mm stitching prong?

Probably 0.6mm or 0.8mm, depending on how you want it to look.

Can anyone tell me what mm Thread I need for a 3mm stitching prong?

I would say 0.8mm and not just because I sell it. ;) I use 0.8mm for all my stitching, I have 2mm, 3mm and a 4mm pricking Iron and 0.8mm works for all three. It does depend how you like it to look though and how thick your leather is. 0.6mm will also work, it just wont show as much, and some people like that.

If you do need some, I have 4 colors for sale on Etsy. I ship free in the USA 2-5 days to arrive.

More colors are on the way and should be back in stock by Friday.

Edited by Egyptian

Probably 0.6mm or 0.8mm, depending on how you want it to look.

I don't want it to be thick.. so in your opinion do you think 0.8mm be too thick for things like wallets?

I would say 0.8mm and not just because I sell it. ;) I use 0.8mm for all my stitching, I have 2mm, 3mm and a 4mm pricking Iron and 0.8mm works for all three. It does depend how you like it to look though and how thick your leather is. 0.6mm will also work, it just wont show as much, and some people like that.

If you do need some, I have 4 colors for sale on Etsy. I ship free in the USA 2-5 days to arrive.

More colors are on the way and should be back in stock by Friday.

Thank you for the advice. Can you explain to me exactly what is being measured on the stitching prong? Is it the size of each tooth?

I don't want it to be thick.. so in your opinion do you think 0.8mm be too thick for things like wallets?

Thank you for the advice. Can you explain to me exactly what is being measured on the stitching prong? Is it the size of each tooth?

It is the length between each tooth, or to be exact, the length between the tip of each tooth. So the thread will run 3mm long on each stitch.

I can post a picture later to show you how big 0.8mm looks. In my opinion it would look great for wallets.

Also to your other question-

Tiger thread is braided, which means it lays flat against the leather allowing to to last longer and to look fuller without being too thick.

Edited by Egyptian

What is the stitch per inch (SPI)you are using? The more SPI the smaller the thread normally. I typically use a higher SPI on smaller items such as wallets. .8 to 1 mm is fine for a finished look an feel. For wallets I use a 9spi pricking iron with .8 but 1mm for beefer items same spi.

A really great video series on YT would be Armitage leather. Whether you use a stitching chisel or pricking iron he talks about this subject of thread size and spi in detail.

It is the length between each tooth, or to be exact, the length between the tip of each tooth. So the thread will run 3mm long on each stitch.

I can post a picture later to show you how big 0.8mm looks. In my opinion it would look great for wallets.

Also to your other question-

Tiger thread is braided, which means it lays flat against the leather allowing to to last longer and to look fuller without being too thick.

Thank you! That makes a lot more sense!

I've found this seller on Ebay, they seem reliable and the colours are accurate. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PROMO-1-0mm-RITZA-25-Tiger-Waxed-Thread-for-Leather-Hand-Sewing-17-Colors-25m-/231279447607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item35d9544e37

Edited by macmandr197

I now have more colors on my Etsy page! I also sell on eBay and you can also buy bigger amounts from me.

If anyone wants to give 0.8mm a try I am starting a free sample promotion right now! Free us shipping. For international, I just ask $1 for shipping on samples. Just message me if you would like one!

The sample includes one of each color in stock tied to a card for identification.

Edited by Egyptian

I'm going to be in Ireland and Northern Ireland this month, Dublin to Belfast, to London/Derry, to Galway, and back to Dublin. I will be in a rental car and thought about maybe trying to find some of this thread in a local leather supply shop. Does anybody know of brick and mortar leather craft suppliers in or near those cities, and what are the odds they might carry the Tiger thread?

Just order it from AbbyEngland, shipping is very reasonable pricing. My order was 22 GBP ($32) with DHL and 3 days to Texas.

I don't remember the exact number, but I think they can get 6 or 7 rolls in that same box.

I would only order from ebay and etsy if you are wanting size/color samples. or you only need a few meters for a single project.

What are the best Diamond Chisel Stitching Prongs out there? I am looking for a 4mm stitching prong for the 1.0mm Ritza Thread.

Edited by augustwillo

Siewa stitching chisels from GoodsJapan are really great. (May have spelled the name wrong.)

Edited by Egyptian

Siewa stitching chisels from GoodsJapan are really great. (May have spelled the name wrong.)

Yeah, it's Seiwa...not Siewa. I like them too, but I wish they had higher SPI ones available.

Also, I'd recommend checking with LeathercraftTools.com as they have many of the same items as GoodsJapan, but better prices and cheaper shipping, in my experience. Their "LC Diamond Punch Pro" tools look a LOT like my Seiwa ones I bought in Tokyo...

Edited by 25b

Yeah, it's Seiwa...not Siewa. I like them too, but I wish they had higher SPI ones available.

Also, I'd recommend checking with LeathercraftTools.com as they have many of the same items as GoodsJapan, but better prices and cheaper shipping, in my experience. Their "LC Diamond Punch Pro" tools look a LOT like my Seiwa ones I bought in Tokyo...

Yes, they are actually made by Seiwa, but branded for leathercrafttools.com

I have not ordered from leathercrafttools.com, but how can you get better shipping price than FREE, goods Japan has always sent my order Free shipping! That is one of the things they are know for, free world wide shipping.

I have three different brands that I use, I prefer the ones that have been sold on Amazon and Ebay, if you search amazon for

NuoYa001 Pro Line Pro Stitch Leather

and

NuoYa001 Leather Craft Punches Stitching

These are the two styles I have been using for about a year steady now.

The pro line (first one) is very nice and works very well, I usually only use it on 1.0-1.6mm leather with Tiger 0.6 thread... don't know the size punch I have but its similar to the 3mm punchs, the marks are very much like a Blanchard(sp) or Dixon... you only mark the leather, you don't punch all the way through.

The second ones I have 3mm, 4mm and 5mm sizes, I ordered the full sets too. I may have had to go on ebay to get the 10 hole punchs... don't remember.

I use the 3mm for Tiger 0.06mm, 4mm for Tiger 0.08mm... I have not use the 5mm yet, but I think that is what I would use for Tiger 1.0mm.

donovan

Yeah, goodsjapan didn't always have free shipping, but their prices are still quite a bit higher on pretty much everything than leathercrafttools.com.

I don't have any affiliation with either one except as a customer and I don't order from goodsjapan anymore after I saw how much lower the prices are at leathercrafttools. :)

I hope the photos uploaded, if not. I purchased two large spools for $16 and change from Abby's a spool, and $7 for a small card from RMLeathers supply.com. I don't even want to meassure what is on the card, it is a joke.The spools hold 500m. I will gladly pay $20 shipping and get ten times the amount of thread for the money and get it only in 3 days, all the way from England.

Jim

Sort of... the $16 is British Pounds... so its $25 US Dollars a spool of 500 meters... and that's if you are a business and get the wholesale account.

2 spools to the door is about $42 each, about $84 total.

Same with the shipping, its in Pounds not dollars, and if you go over $200 US dollars, you pay another 11% tax and $10 to DHL.

You can get to $200 pretty quick.

I think I said it before, use RMLeather to get your samples for color and/or size, and if you are only going to do a couple items, once you find what you want, order from Abby.

RMLeather list the cards at 25 Meters, I think I have ordered 12-15 cards from them. I checked the first order and it was over 25 Meters. Did not see a need to check after that.

I still think its a good deal for samples and small items for hobbyist.

donovan

Edited by donovan1974

Makers Supply is now selling this in the U.S. 

4 minutes ago, mpe267 said:

Makers Supply is now selling this in the U.S. 

And so are Egyptian Leather and Buckle Guy; both of them have been doing it for a bit now.