jasonpotts42

What Is A Working Adler 105 Worth?

I am looking at an Adler 105 for sale, its Grey. Haven't seen it in person yet. I am told that it is in good working order and is on a cabinet. No Reverse.

Would anybody care to take a stab at the value of such a machine with the limited information that I have given? It'll be fun. Just a price range would help. I want to buy it and use it but I may want to get my money back out of it when I go to sell it again.

3G73F83Jb5N65Lf5Hdd54e0156e49dd1219ca.jpg

Thanks for any information you might pass on.

Jason

Price is very subjective Jason. It all depends on where you are and how many other people might be interested.

Adding reverse might be possible but expensive. Also there are many subclasses with different feed types

Yeah, subjective for sure.

I am not sure of the feeding mechanism and the owner couldn't say for sure either. I hoped that somebody might be able to recognize some of the features by what is visable in the photo.

As for adding reverse, that is very intriging and I might try my hand at that. I wonder if there are many parts necessary to accomplish this.

That looks like an Adler 105-25 mo made for sewing mocassins,you can adjust the top feed to go shorter than the bottom to get a shirring effect.This machine might sew to 3/8" thick max.but you can use heavy thread up to #346.Value I wouldn't think it would be worth much over $800.00.HTH

Thanks CowboyBob;

That is not quite the machine I was hoping it was but I'll bet you can sew bags and tool holders on it all day. Hmmm, then again now that I have written that, it seems like just the kind of machine I could use.

So what does it take to make this thing reverse? Seems like I remember seeing something about that in the forum somewhere. I off to search for it now.

Hi,

as Bob told you before this is a 105-25 Mo version and it has top feed only in its current state. You can change needle plate and add a feed dog and you will have a 105-25.

The 105-25 has bottom feed and top feed, but the feeds are not combined. Its made for ruffing work, when you need a different stitch length on top and bottom. The top feed is adjusted on the top back side of the machine and the bottom feed on the stitch regulator, you have to fine tune these two to have the same feeding length top and bottom.

As for the reverse, you must take of the stitch regulator locking plate (remove two screws on the plate with thumb screw on, behind the stitch regulator handle). You can change this for a 105-25 or 105-64 locking plate ( I think the -64 is the only one they sell parts for anymore) or use a hack saw and alter it (aluminum).

When the plate is off (or altered) you can move the stitch regulator in reverse and the bottom feeds reverse works. To use this machine with reverse you must set the top feed in off position, the reverse do not work when the top feed is engaged.

It can be a challenge to get hold of a needle plate and feed dog for it, I do not think Dürkopp Adler (DA) sells part for it anymore. However, you can ask Thomas Brinkhoff (head of DA spare parts) in his blog " the world of Dürkopp Adler spare part business" http://sew24.blogspot.no/ he knows. You can also download old leaflet and manuals for the class 105 on this site.

Used, the subclass 105-64 is priced higher than the -25 (the -64 has bottom and needle feed). I have both sub classes and personally I think the -25 is a better leather machine, because it climbs much better. The -64 is only good on flat stuff. There was a video of the 105-25 on you tube but I cannot find it anymore. If you get hold of a needle plate and feed dog for it it will be a pretty good machine.

Good luck.

Tor

Trox;

That's some awesome stuff right there. I did a little bit a searching and I think some parts are out there and it adds up pretty quick.

This gives me a good idea of what to look for when I finally get to see the machine and what I am willing to pay.

Thank you much for your knowledge and thorough explanation and willingness to share.

Jason

Quite a few years ago I had one of these I couldn't sell so I cutoff the top of the feed dog & welded the top of one from a GA-5 on it,Adler had the parts back then but it was around $4-500.Then I made a GA-5 plate fit (had redrill the holes & after some more grinding & tweaking it sewed 1/2 "I managed to sell it then.Trox is right you'll have to stop the top feed to make it reverse,cut the slot in the plate longer so it can go up, it would work better (reverse ) if you put a roller foot on it.

Bob, I am glad that I am not the only guy around who makes liberal use of his angle grinder.

When it comes to obsolete parts or horrendously expensive ones I usually look for something close and then grind it to fit.

Quite a few years ago I had one of these I couldn't sell so I cutoff the top of the feed dog & welded the top of one from a GA-5 on it,Adler had the parts back then but it was around $4-500.Then I made a GA-5 plate fit (had redrill the holes & after some more grinding & tweaking it sewed 1/2 "I managed to sell it then.Trox is right you'll have to stop the top feed to make it reverse,cut the slot in the plate longer so it can go up, it would work better (reverse ) if you put a roller foot on it.

All of the heavy stitcher are very similar, the TSC 441 plate and dog fit the 105-25. However, they cannot be used because of the 105-25 do not have needle feed.

The plate and feed dog from the Juki TSH 411 (bottom feed) might be a match.

The Japanese did exactly the same as the Chinese do now when they started to make sewing machines; copied European and US machines. I tried my 441 plate (and feed dog) on the 105 and the needle hit exactly in the needle hole of the 441 feed dog.

On the picture you see a couple of my Adler 5 plates (the forerunner of the 105), this is the same plate as the 105-25 plate (100% fit with the same part number too, they only added a couple of zeros in the front).

So I guess there will be Singer 45 K plates who fits too.

I am not sure of the Adler 205-25 plate will fit, I have never tried.

Sieck.de in Germany might have a plate and feed dog for it, be prepared to pay for it.

The plates on the picture is part of a saddler's attachment pack for my Adler cl. 5-27. I do not know if I sell it or not, but the plates will follow the machine either way.

Tor

post-10237-0-20239000-1370834571_thumb.j

Edited by Trox

800 is the exact number I had in mind, but I would save up for something better. 3/8" is not enough for the kind of work you want to do. I don't sew 3/4 but I often find I am choking my cobra 4. You go to turn a corner, and the foot dings something that is 3/4 inches or higher. That is a typical holster issue, but I can see it with bags also. I bought a lot of second hand machines for various purposes. The good thing about Adler is you will get your money out in most cases if you don't overpay etc... The bad thing is dealing with old tech, possible problems, and getting yourself a machine that doesn't really do what you want. When I bought the Cobra, I figured I would loose a grand if I turned around and sold it right away. But I am getting my work out with zero problems. All I did was worry about whether the machine would do what I wanted when I had the techsew GB6 180. Great machine, just wasn't right for my work. I'm not pro, but the work I am doing is saleable, and I will get the 1K back pretty quick.

Thanks Massive;

I think I will take your advice and save for something more appropriate.

Edited by jasonpotts42

My Adler 5-27 (the forerunner of the class 105) sews 15 mm of material with a 328 needle system. It has bottom feed and a spring loaded jump-foot like the Adler 105-8. I used this machine for many years, it was never a problem with it and it have a beautiful stitch. My rebuilt 105-25 MO (who now is a regular 105-25) has a foot lift of 19 mm (with a smooth feeding foot) and will sew about the same (as the cl.5-27) with out problem.

The Kochs Adler company did not brag about numbers on what a machine managed once (like I do, and several with me do). They was always on the safe side and built machine that could do more than needed. I do not want to stand idle and look at a fine piece of machinery die, most of the Europeans who have these machine will not part with them. Ask my US/ Belgium friend the "leatherguru", he has a impressive machine park but still love his Adler 105.

The reason there are many MO types of machines out there for sale, is because they was used in shoe factories and they are now outdated. Or nobody produce shoes in the western world anymore. The only thing you will be able to break on these machines are the shuttle, you can get them aftermarket.

Seriously, I would pay more for a Adler 105 than a Chinese bottom feed. This machine climbs good too, its a double feed. When mine is ready I will upload a video of it sewing, thats worth more than thousand words. (its not going to happen to morrow, this is a between other duties project)

Thanks

Tor

I just got off the phone with the guy selling the Adler and he had a fire in which most of his belongings burned including the sewing machine. There goes another one. Sad all around.

Thanks for all your input. In spite of the outcome this process was great, I really learned a great deal.

I just got off the phone with the guy selling the Adler and he had a fire in which most of his belongings burned including the sewing machine. There goes another one. Sad all around.

Thanks for all your input. In spite of the outcome this process was great, I really learned a great deal.

Thanks, to bad. The Adler's I have will not burn before 3600 degree Celsius. I hope you find something else.

Tor

Thanks, to bad. The Adler's I have will not burn before 3600 degree Celsius. I hope you find something else.

Tor

Maybe this Adler burned at Fahrenheit 451, the temperature at which insurance claim paper ignites. Montag!

I suppose the question has now been answered. What is this machine worth? NOTHING