conceptdiba

Group Buy For Edge Paints

Hi everyone,

Many of you took part in my thread on edge finishing, and some ended up purchasing either the Mando or Campbell-Randall edge-heating tool machine (I purchased the latter)

A number of people have asked about sourcing edge paint, and I've found the source for the best kind to use. Top-tier craftsman who need a waxier edge paint use this stuff, and it was used by Hermes (I'm not sure if it's still the kind they use, but it definitely was). The company is called Beraud, based in France.

The problem: Sold in 1kg/2.2lb containers per colour, and they keep fresh for about a year. Shipping isn't exactly going to be cheap, either.

The solution: Organize a group buy. Tally up exactly how much we need of each colour, order the appropriate amount, and re-package into smaller containers and ship individually to each person.

White can be combined with black and brown to obtain different shades of brown and grey, and I'm sure there are craftsman like myself who would also like colours such as red, blue, etc.

I don't have a pricelist yet, but it's fairly reasonably priced from what I've heard. The problem just involves the fact that most people aren't going to use over 2 pounds of a single colour of edge paint in a year.

Would anyone be interested in this?

-Andrew

Hi everyone,

Many of you took part in my thread on edge finishing, and some ended up purchasing either the Mando or Campbell-Randall edge-heating tool machine (I purchased the latter)

A number of people have asked about sourcing edge paint, and I've found the source for the best kind to use. Top-tier craftsman who need a waxier edge paint use this stuff, and it was used by Hermes (I'm not sure if it's still the kind they use, but it definitely was). The company is called Beraud, based in France.

The problem: Sold in 1kg/2.2lb containers per colour, and they keep fresh for about a year. Shipping isn't exactly going to be cheap, either.

The solution: Organize a group buy. Tally up exactly how much we need of each colour, order the appropriate amount, and re-package into smaller containers and ship individually to each person.

White can be combined with black and brown to obtain different shades of brown and grey, and I'm sure there are craftsman like myself who would also like colours such as red, blue, etc.

I don't have a pricelist yet, but it's fairly reasonably priced from what I've heard. The problem just involves the fact that most people aren't going to use over 2 pounds of a single colour of edge paint in a year.

Would anyone be interested in this?

-Andrew

Hi Andrew.

Is this CT0 or CT6 from Beraud you're talking about?

Charlie

Hi Andrew.

Is this CT0 or CT6 from Beraud you're talking about?

Charlie

I believe it's the CT0

Edited by conceptdiba

I believe it's the CT0

Have you tried it? Id be interested to know how youve get on if so

Have you tried it? Id be interested to know how youve get on if so

Not yet. I learned about it from a craftsman who was trained by a retired Hermes craftsperson. He's not sure if they're still using it, but at his time of training, that's what Hermes used. I've seen photos of work done using this edge paint and it really is fantastic.

I'm still interested in going ahead with this group buy. I've got a few people interested but nobody is in any particular hurry, so I'm waiting a bit longer.

Edited by conceptdiba

Not yet. I learned about it from a craftsman who was trained by a retired Hermes craftsperson. He's not sure if they're still using it, but at his time of training, that's what Hermes used. I've seen photos of work done using this edge paint and it really is fantastic.

I'm still interested in going ahead with this group buy. I've got a few people interested but nobody is in any particular hurry, so I'm waiting a bit longer.

Well I'll certainly be interested to see the results when people have it - hopefully people will post some photos

Charlie

Not yet. I learned about it from a craftsman who was trained by a retired Hermes craftsperson. He's not sure if they're still using it, but at his time of training, that's what Hermes used.

Peter Nitz?

I'm definitely Interested but as i'm in the UK, it might not be feasible. However, I'll be in France for while from 22nd July so if it worked out cheaper I could receive the order, divide it up and post them out. Do you have an idea of prices yet?

Peter Nitz's work is amazing so I'm sure it's a great product. I believe Hermes currently use edge-paint by Stahl. I'm awaiting a reply from them about their MOQ.

Edd

I'm definitely Interested but as i'm in the UK, it might not be feasible. However, I'll be in France for while from 22nd July so if it worked out cheaper I could receive the order, divide it up and post them out. Do you have an idea of prices yet?

Peter Nitz's work is amazing so I'm sure it's a great product. I believe Hermes currently use edge-paint by Stahl. I'm awaiting a reply from them about their MOQ.

Edd

I'm told by a source I have in the trade that the edge finish Hermes are currently using is exclusive to them - interesting to see if you get further with this

Charlie

Hi there -

Located on the East Coast of the US and interested in some standard colors like black and brown. Please let me know pricing once you figure it.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi there -

Located on the East Coast of the US and interested in some standard colors like black and brown. Please let me know pricing once you figure it.

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry Matt, me and a few others already went ahead with this. I'll probably organize it again a year from now as a few people expressed interest after the order had been placed.

No problem - out of curiousity, how much were each of the the 1kg/2.2lb containers? And do they respond to emails written in English?

No problem - out of curiousity, how much were each of the the 1kg/2.2lb containers? And do they respond to emails written in English?

I'm not sure, I think one of the guys I did the order with spoke some french so he was the one who contacted them.

The price was <18euro per container. Not expensive really, but shipping is what will get you if you're in north america.

So, how did it turn out compared to the other edge paint you were using? Was it worthwhile? Do they have a website? How did you order?

Yes, I'd love to know if the order went through and what the result was. I'd be interested in being involved in future orders.

Yes, I'd love to know if the order went through and what the result was. I'd be interested in being involved in future orders.

We use the same edge finish, though sourced directly. Its extremely useful for fine or chrome leathers that cant otherwise be burnished and/or getting contrast edges on leathers that wick dye . You can achieve a very high standard of finish thats a country mile ahead of Edge Kote or similar, but its very time consuming and takes a lot of practice to get there.

Charlie

Edited by cjmt

Is this what was ordered?

http://www.beraud-sa...emart&Itemid=31

Thanks, Matt

Yes, that's it. It's a shame you fellas didn't get on-board as I now have more paint than I can possibly use. I could probably sort you out with a little sample to try out but it might not be worth it considering the cost of international postage.

It's a quality paint and nice to work with but does require multiple coatings to achieve the best finish so if you're impatient like me, it can be annoying having to wait for it to dry between coats. I haven't personally been using a heated tool to set the paint, as I don't own one, but I believe this is part of the usual process and helps to smooth it out. I leave a lamp on next to the painted edge to speed up the drying, then i use fine grit wet & dry to sand it smooth. Repeat this process 3,4,5 times or more until the edges are even, apply beeswax and polish with a cotton cloth. This produces good results for me but I' be interested to hear from anyone else with more experience.

Applying the paint actually requires quite a bit of care as it can occasionally bleed over the edge and ruin a piece unless you're quick to wipe it off.

The 'professional edge paint' being sold by Tandy may be worth trying. It's made by an italian company called Fenice, and I remember seeing it sold on a few European trade websites.

Hi edd, where do you live? I was given a quote from beraud and the prices for the paint are reasonable, but the shipping to the US would be 100 bucks. I am using the rebranded fenice paint from Tandy, and it works well enough that I may just give up on the idea of getting the beraud paint.

Ordered this paint from Beraud and got it delivered to UK. It still cost an arm and a leg to get it delivered - 3 times as much as the actual price of the paint, but it was totally worth it - the paint is very easy to work with and Fiebings Edge Kote is nowhere near in terms of the look and feel, compared to this one. The only problem is its shelf life, as I'm not sure I will find that much use for 1lt of black and 1lt of red paint by the time it goes off. So if anyone wants some Beraud paint within UK, do let me know.

Ordered this paint from Beraud and got it delivered to UK. It still cost an arm and a leg to get it delivered - 3 times as much as the actual price of the paint, but it was totally worth it - the paint is very easy to work with and Fiebings Edge Kote is nowhere near in terms of the look and feel, compared to this one. The only problem is its shelf life, as I'm not sure I will find that much use for 1lt of black and 1lt of red paint by the time it goes off. So if anyone wants some Beraud paint within UK, do let me know.

Mart,

I wouldn't mind some red. Not a colour a use a lot of so a little would be useful

Charlie