Kassidy

Nose Button

I have Bruce grants encyclopedia and was wondering if a nose button can be done with any amount of strands or if its just by 3,6,9 etc.?

I think you can use any number between 1 and infinity. :) I know some that use one but the string has to be so long it would drive me nuts working with it.

If you are using the multiple string method you can use any number of strings. I use 5 on little diameters, 6 or 7 on medium diameters, and 8 on bigger diameters. You can use 8 on littler also, or any number. You just have to cut your string narrower, and split it thinner. I really like tying the single strand button too. It can only be done as 4,6,8, etc. just as the foundation in a heelknot. Even though it's called a single strand long button,myself, and those who tie nosebuttons with it a lot use a 12' to 16' strand to tie the foundation, then you can splice in shorter 8' to 10' strands or shorter if need be to finish your interweave. You just have to splice a new string in under 3 or 4 strands and continue in the previous strands path. Even if you use 3 strings you only have to bury 6 ends, vs. 16 ends on a 8 strand, multiple string button. The downfall is the groundwork and button string have to be exact to work out, where a multiple string button is easier to make fit on different sizes of groundworks by braiding shorter or longer with your foundation button.

Best of luck and happy braiding!

Brent