My latest two pieces. The dragonfly wallet/purse thing is for my wife who doesn't like purses but complains about her old wallet being too small and not having a coin pouch.

I'm open to any suggestions for making the cross-loop lacing more seamless where I finished it off. I just watched a Youtube video to learn from, and I couldn't get the ending to look as seamless as I'd like (you can see it in the upper left above the dragonfly). Are there any tricks to doing this step?

post-38816-0-06396300-1371167273_thumb.j

post-38816-0-74999000-1371167294_thumb.j

cool stuff......love the frog thingy....and the idea of wrapping a bottel or container ur way is neat....very nice carving and coloring....

jimbob

Thanks, Jimbob! Actually the bottle is made from leather and beeswax- there's no bottle inside of it. The beeswax makes it very hard and waterproof!

Nice work! You've got me thinking!

Looks good....both projects that is..... I am sorta wondering how you got that lace fault? I usually follow the same technique and go up to the starting position as you have, then i would go 2 holes passed to make it blend, my tip here is to skive your lace down for a few inches so as not to look bulky or doubled over.... then i apply a cement on the lace where it will exit the final hole, pull it out hard and trim it off clean... it will then disappear in the hole.

I also can't see enough details from the image, but it nearly looks like your a hole out or a plait out.... sorry... wish i could see it better.... it's also very important to make a hidden start to your lace if your going to be coming back to join into it.... like a rope splice sorta... that's where i can't make out the actual start and where the intersection is... hope this helps somewhat.... cheers Jace

I had similar problems when I started lacing. The best thing I can tell you is to loosely lace the beginning three holes to give you slack to finish the job. The lacing directions in the Leatherwork Manual by Al Stohlman are a great reference for lacing. Just keep working with it and it will start looking how you want it. Nice work.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice! I'll see if I can find that manual in the library, but I think keeping the first few stitches loose might just do the trick.

That frog has some really nice detail and the coloring is right on. I waited a few days to click this topic because I didn't think it was my cup of tea. I'm glad I clicked though because otherwise I would have missed some outstanding tooling.

Wow that flask is stellar! Got to show me how you did that. Extremely nice work.

...tooling and coloring is fantastic top notch!!!!!!!!!!

Looks awesome! Keep it up!

Awesome flask - Awesome wallet! Love that frog! Great tooling & design!

Would you share? - What did you use to paint the dragon flask with?

Thanks for all of the comments!

LNL, I don't mind sharing. On the flask I used Liquitex iridescent gold and silver and just a touch of blue. The base is not painted; the process of sealing it with wax gives it that color. Any coloring you want to do must be done prior to wax sealing- once it is waxed, no paint or stain will adhere to it.

Really great work. I especially love the artwork on that purse, but they are both great!

Bob