nancyrip

Turk's Head Rescources

I have started braiding kangroo 4 strand dog leashes. I am happy with my braiding of a basic leash but want to step it up a notch. I have been trying to learn how to complete various turk's head knots from youtube videos or other things I can find on the internet. I can complete a basic boy scout knot but I am not having much luck with anything more complicated. The braiding book I purchased to learn how braid. Braiding Fine Leather by David Morgan, does not cover knots. Can anyone point me me to a good rescource to purchase? Thanks for any help you can give me.

The best resources for me have been Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant and Gail Hought's books at www.hought.com. Both of these have provided a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure others will jump in with their own personal favorites! Good luck and have fun!

Check out Ron Edwards' books at www.ramsskullpress.com There are two books just on turk's heads and others that will have turk's heads as well as other knots. These books are well written and the drawings of how to make the knots is, in my opinion, the best in the business. I give his books at my braiding workshops.

If I had it all to do over again!!! Tom Hall's Introduction to Turk's Head Knots, More Western Tack Tips, and Western Tack Tips. The best illustrations.

I'm guilty of being an old ropeworker, so, for me, Ashley's Book of Knots is the bible for folks wanting to know anything about knots and braiding.

Here's a tutoial I made for the 16 part x 16 bright 2 pass Type 1 Pineapple Knot. This one is from a base 9px8b Turks Head with a 7px8b Turk's Head interweave, which gives 3 zigzags in the finished knot. Hope it helps.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=7662

Bruce Grant's "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding" isn't the easiest but it is likely the most complete.

Robert L. Woolery's Braiding Rawhide Horse Tack is excelent

Knothead's (Brian) website has lots of online tutorials too http://www.khww.net/viewpage.php?page_id=25

Yep. I know him. He makes a good tool along with great books. Another really great source for learning turks head knots. Don Burhus is the owner of that fabulous material. He did a great job with it all. I have personally reviewed his books that are out so far and they measure up by my own opinion. I can't say that for other people. But I do like his style and approach.

The best one I have found as far as illustration of the construction of the knots and interweaves is Tom Hall's " Introduction To Turks Head Knots "... By far the best for learning and great for going back to for reference when you need to remember a knot. I keep his books with me all the time. Ya never know when you'll have to look up a Turks head knot.

Brian...