Glendon

Considering A Shop Press Clicker Setup, Hoping For Some Advice

Hi all,

I have been considering setting up a shop press for some basic clicking for those small projects, coasts, key fobs, belt clips, that I seem to always end up making 10 or 15 at a time. Thing is that I dont have the space for a free standing 12 or 20 ton press. As a test to see if it would work for my needs, I was thinking of picking up one of the bench top 6 ton shop presses and a couple 1/4 in. steel plates as a beginners solution. Would this work long enough for me to see if I want to get more into it, or would I not be able to cut anything worthwhile? Mostly what I would be clicking would be 6oz and under.

If I get even a couple maybes from the people who have experence with this, I'll give it a shot and report back. Given the handful of reports I've seen about these projects makes me think a 6 ton might be too weak though.

I have a 10 ton that would sit on a bench.

It has a pressure gauge but I seldom use more than 3 tons for molding, cutting may take 5 or less, I haven't any cutting dies for it yet.

Stamping is a ton and a half.

Yah, stamping is easy enough. I have a 1 ton arbor press that I use for 3D stamps. Seems to work just fine for my needs.

Hi Glendon,I have small frame with a 6 tonne jack in it with a poly board on a thick piece of aluminium. I regularly cut 3 sixteenth fobs etc and it will drive my clickers into the poly. There is plenty of oomph in it.Go for it

I use Weaver's bench top press with a 12-ton air over hydraulic jack. Have it set up in my 5th wheel rv and takes up very little space. I've used it to cut/click out holsters, coasters, fobs, spur straps, etc. I've used 5-9 oz leather primarily, but have also cut heavier.

I use Weaver's older model benchtop shop press, with the 6T bottle jack. I click out coasters and conchos from saddle skirting (13-14 oz) and large knife sheaths from 10 0z skirting (takes two-three passes to get the entire sheath clicked out, but once one end is cut the die stays in place and moves easily to cut the other end). It works absolutely fine. It's sweet to hear the leather either "pop" or "swish" as it cuts through to the bottom! I also use it to press my 1-1/2" maker stamp into cased leather - does a wonderful clear job that I cannot do with a maul of any weight.

I have two Lucris five ton clicker presses that I use for single clicker dies and stamps. They are very fast clicking single dies or stamp impressions. I have three small dies that I click a lot of parts from and can click about 250 parts a hour. Unless your are going to multiple part dies there is no clicker press that I know of that clicks as fast. I love these little presses for small work. As well as cutting you can do designs easily. Here is a video of one being used for that.

http://youtu.be/C-eUq9hMZNk

I spent quite a bit of time looking into the Lucris. Being a hobbyist and not making a regular income from my leatherwork thogh, I couldn't justify that price. A few hundred for a shop press setup I can do.

I believed the same thing for several years, but after I got one, it paid for itself in less than six months. I have two now and they are just great money makers. -- Tex

I went to the Lucris web site and it is a fountain of non information.

I'd like to know the approximate cost of the press......no indication of that on the site.

I guess the only way to find out the information is to call one of the two reps here in the U.S.

Paul

That was my reaction to the Lucris site as well. After some hunting I found a price of something around $1,200. I don't remember exactly now, but it was not that much lower then a Tippman press.

Tex, where did you get your manual clickers?

I got mine at Bar-Plate, but they lost there dealership. Ace is the only company selling the MA series clicker now in the USA that I know of. Personally I don't think that there is another manual press out there comes close to comparing with the Lucris Press. Lew Asherton did a great job designing this press. It is so much faster than any other manual press that I have seen. Think about this! With two of my small dies I can easily click 250 patterns a hour. I don't know of any other press that can do that. I don't know why that I have two as one will do all that I want. The press weighs 125 pounds and can be used anywhere with out any power. I knw I sound like a sales person, but I really feel that strongly about the Lucris press. -- Tex -- PS -- Here is a link where you can get the Lucris press in the USA and it is more than $1200

http://www.acesteelruledies.com/diepress.html

Now I remember running across Ace dies a few months ago. The price is about on par with the Tippman hydrolic clicker, a few hundred cheaper. I would love to have one of these presses, but they're just too pricey for a hobby. Don't get me wrong, I think they are a great second purchese, but I wouldn't put that much money out until I I had some regular income from my leatherwork, or at least had a die collection I was using.

Glendon, this post is not in responce to yours, but to anybody that is interested and has not seen a clicker work or has not priced clicker dies. Custom clicker dies run from about $40 and up depending on the complexity, holes and slots if any and the size. To me the difference between a steel rule die and a all steel clicker die is how many clicks do you plan on making with it. I have one all clicker die that has made well over 10,000 clicks and is still sharp. The size of the die that the MA Lucris press depends on several factors like how much cutting edge, how many holes, how sharp, how slick the clicking surface is and how complicated the outline. A five ton press like the Lucris will not click 30 inches of cutting edge with fifteen 3/6 holes for instance. For that you would better off with a larger press. Here are a couple of my dies without holes that have clicked a bunch of clicks and still are very accurate. I have clicked dies 3 times that size with several holes without a problem. I have clicked for other people with there dies. The press will click a die that is larger that the plate, but I don't. These die shown here are about $40/50 dollar dies. I have no dies that cost me over $100 dollers. Now a couple of my customer dies cost well over $100 but I will not show them. By the way the phone number on the pen is not mine. -- Tex

post-42291-0-14033000-1371920326_thumb.j

post-42291-0-72673500-1371920337_thumb.j

Edited by Tex Shooter

Very good information, and it is the same info I have put together over the last few months looking into clickers. The basic shapes you would want to get as dies to save yourself the agrovation, coasters, wallet backs, pouch parts, would be in the $40 - $50 range.

Thank you guys. You convenced me it should be worth a try. Any suggestions on the thickness of steel plate I should be looking for to distribute the weight of the jack? I can get 1/4" hot rolled steel easily, but I'm not sure if it would be thick enough not to bend on me.

I have 1" plates and am convinced that is way overkill, at least for the top. On the flip side, they were cut offs at a steel yard and free. A dozen doughnuts got me past the secretary and into the back. He gave me a big piece for the bottom and a couple sizes for putting over the dies. A 12 pack was later delivered in appreciation.

A 10 ton comes with 3/4".

Try looking at your local scrap metal dealer for some 19mm-3/4 aluminium plate.A lot easier to move around and kinder on the feet.

So this one should do me for small pieces such as key fobs, etc.?

http://www.harborfre...press-1666.html

I wouldn't be running it all day long, just on a "as needed" basis......it's a real pain for me to cut these things out by hand.

Edited by Rayban

That's the exact one I bought. Will have to give a report when I have done some real testing in the next month or two, but from what I've been reading and what other members have said in this thread, it should work just fine.

Only thing to consider with this press is that the space between the two arms is about 10-1/2". Finding metal plates less then 12" for a resonable price I am finding a bit tricky. Of course if you have a frindly machine shop or metalworks near you, that shouldn't be as much of a problem.

Of course if you have a frindly machine shop or metalworks near you, that shouldn't be as much of a problem.

I know just the guy....look forward to hearing/seeing how it goes with your press.

I finally got my self a big old Sandt clicking machine that works very well. If I had not found this machine I would have made my self one from a shop press. The clicking area is small compared to a hand operated clicker press. Nevertheless, the shop press is stronger and more transparent; you have nice control with the dies. You do not have to use more force than needed to cut true the leather. It also works with bigger embossing plates than the hand clicker. The shop press have less space and is slower to use. Nevertheless, the hand clicker cost way to much. The shop press is the winner here, no doubt about it.

Tor

Silverback, thanks for suggesting I look into aluminum again. I figured it would be too expensive, but I found a place (www.onlinemetals.com) that has aluminum plate cut to size for a reasonable price.