Macca

1St Post, 1St Attempt At Making Something !

Hi all

Just starting out on this new hobby, been practising stitching on scraps so far after watching Nigel's videos (so helpful !)

Time to start learning by doing now so some cheap leather and a lot of mistakes later heres my first little project

tKKHzST.jpg

dZ56G8K.jpg

Nsc5mGP.jpg

Learned so much just on this one, stitching corners nicely is difficult, really need to plan the stitching, hadn't thought about that at all

but worst of all while cards will go in, it is so snug I doubt they'd come out again :unsure: so I've increased the template size a bit for the next attempt

big :thumbsup: to everyone on here, learned so much reading the forum for a short while

Looks good! Yes, Nigel's video is excellent!

Looks fine, one thing to remember is the leather will stretch some with use so don't make it too big. Welcome to the forum.

David

That is exceptionally clean work for a first project. Looking forward to see your future projects.

thanks for the encouragement :)

2nd attempt underway, just dyed the pieces

lesson learned, do it outside, Stinks !

As mentioned above, you have done a great job, especially for a first attempt. Your stitching looks really nice!

I know what you mean about the card pouches being snug. To solve this problem, I dampen the inside edges of the card pouch with a bone folder wapped with a damp cloth, then wrap a few cards in saran wrap and force the pack in the pouch. I work the edges with a bone folder and use a card or two less than what is actually needed. I leave the pack of cards in the pouch for a half an hour or so and then take it out and let it dry. Works good for me. Note that if you use too much water, it might stain the outer finish.

Bob

Edited by Basically Bob

Great first project. Can't complain about mistakes on your first one. If everyone was perfect right out of the box, it wouldn't be any fun.

Thanks folks, you are all too kind.

When I say snug, I mean I've stitched too far in from the edge, the gap between the rows of stitches barely allows a card in :oops: but good tip regarding stretching, I'll use that on the current one

Just finishing off my second go, first attempt at dying, so lots of mistakes there & something strange has gone on with the back side of my stitching, but thats for another thread, getting started forum will be my hangout for a while I think :spoton: