SouthernCross

How Do Most Of You Sew Your Holsters?

How do you typically sew the various pieces of leather together for your holsters? Hand sew, Tipmann Boss type machine, electric machine, etc.?

I've done a couple just for myself by hand-stitching only and it's miserable going....

Hand. A stitching pony is a lifesaver though. I have a machine, but lack the table/motor for one yet.

I used to teach holster making, . . . and I always told them, . . . "Hands are for hamburgers, . . . machines are for stitching".

Then I would produce my Tippmann, . . . and part of the class would be giving them the opportunity to try the machine. If they didn't want to do it, . . . I would sew their holster for them, . . . but they did the cutting, edging, burnishing, patterning, etc.

Truthfully, . . . If I had to hand stitch everything that goes out of this shop, . . . I'd probably go into the coaster business. But that is my opinion, and there are others of a totally different take on the subject.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah there is definitely a speed boost with a machine no doubt about it. Although they have their own learning curve.

I would avoid a tippman though. Went that route and while I probably never gave it the chance it deserved I could of got a basic electric that is just easier to use all around.

Cowboy CB 4500 ..reduce 1 1/2 hours of hand work to about 6 minutes.

Machine

Hand stitching and lots of it...builds character. (In truth had I the disposable income I would have a machine)

Bought a Cobra 4 last November and it has been a hand saver. I was hand stitching but with the machine I can sew a holster in just a few minutes versus an hour or so. Want to make a belt, I did 2 by hand and thought I would never finish, literally took hours, with the Cobra 4 done in 15 minutes or less. It is tough to shell out $2600 for a machine but you end up saving a lot of time and your sanity. It only took me about 2 weeks to become fairly proficient on the machine, as time has progressed I have learned the small things that make it even easier.

I am a hobbyist and I hand sew. Working with leather is a therapeutic relief from my stressful full time job. I get into a rhythm and my mind clears- its great. Make a stitching pony... It will really speed things up and improve the overall quality of your work. If this was a full time business I would absolutely have a machine, but still offer (and charge a premium) hand stitching. Maybe one day when I strike it rich I will have a machine.

I like the tippmann boss because it gives me ultimate control over the placement of every single stitch. I dislike it due to parts breakage and the seemingly constant fiddling required to keep the tensions good.

I dont have the space and power in the basement workshop to get something like the cowboy or cobra.

Machine. It is very hard to be profitable without one. I have two Tippmann Boss' and a powered machine that I use for larger projects like belts etc. All holsters I do on the Boss. In over 4,000 holsters and countless other projects I have broken two needles and one thread take up arm spring. The Boss is tough but simple to repair yourself if something does break. Simple to learn on and help is only a phone call away.

Machine. It is very hard to be profitable without one. I have two Tippmann Boss' and a powered machine that I use for larger projects like belts etc. All holsters I do on the Boss. In over 4,000 holsters and countless other projects I have broken two needles and one thread take up arm spring. The Boss is tough but simple to repair yourself if something does break. Simple to learn on and help is only a phone call away.

I've broken the lifter arm 3 times, the rack gear once, and the quadrant gear twice. I've dulled a bunch of needles, but never broke one.

I sew everything by hand using a homemade stitching horse and a thin pair of leather gloves with the finger tips cut off. I've been giving a lot of thought to getting a Boss for a few years now but haven't done it yet. This is just a hobby for me and I find sewing to be relaxing but I'd take a lot more orders if I had more time.

Good luck,

Josh

Cobra 4 with eps for me this machine is it!.

I've broken the lifter arm 3 times, the rack gear once, and the quadrant gear twice. I've dulled a bunch of needles, but never broke one.

I'm curious. How in heck did you manage to break the thread lifter arm?

Just to clarify, Im talking about the CAR-11 piece that clamps to the shaft and has a bearing that the thread take up lever rides on.

The first time it broke was when tightening it to the shaft after replacing the needle shaft gear, the second time was when the needle shaft gear broke again, jammed up the rack gear, and I tried to gorilla the arm up. Cant remember what the 3rd break was, by then I was so frustrated I couldnt think.

So now I have a warehouse full of extra parts just to avoid the downtime I was experiencing.

Hand sewing at first, but after I bought a Cobra 4, I know I should have gotten it earlier. May hands got pretty sore hand sewing all the time. Machine sews a holster in a minute or so, compared to 20 minutes by hand. If you want to increase the volume, you need a machine IMO. I liked the Cobra so much, I got another one just like it. I have natural thread set up on one and balck on the other. I got tired of changing thread and decided I should have a back up in case one broke. If I was without my machine, I'd be screwed. So now have two, just in case. I've also added a Cobra Clicker dye and a Cobra leather splitter. Love them too and they are time savers as well.

Even though I have plenty of machines to sew holsters with, I sew by hand to get the relaxation factor.

Regards, Eric

Everything by machine that I can. I like the cobra models.

The rest in a stitching horse by hand.

Unless it is a cantle binding. Those are always hand stitched on the saddle stand.

Joel

Just a hobbyist, I only make a few holsters a year, so everything I do is by hand.

Bronson

Like most here I am a hobbiest, so I hand sew my holsters. I have gotta make/get a stitching horse so I can complete my projects easier.

I want to sew by machine but, until I can afford a cobra 4 its all by hand. although the backlog I have makes me think I could really up my throughput and ultimately pay for the machine. Leathersmith Richard Black, of youtube fame amongst others, and I conversed some about this same conversation and he suggested a cobra class 18 or equiv machine unless the interest was getting into heavy tack. In his opinion that flatbed w/3/8-7/16 footlift would do about all anyone would ever need. But if the time arose, it would bring its return investment to be put in a class 4 then. So... for me its only by hand for now.

Bro Tim

I hand stitch but am not trying to make a living at it. I could easily buy a machine but I doubt I ever will, although I admit and agree that it would be very difficult to be profitable without one. Stitching is actually one of the things I enjoy most about making a holster and I can easily turn out several a week while still working a full time job. I'll have completed three border-stamped holsters and a heavy gunbelt by tomorrow already.