Junipero

Trouble Setting Snaps/rivets

Hi ~

I am having difficulty setting my snaps and rivets: when I hit the setter with the mallet, the socket/stud nearly always crumples diagonally, instead of compacting straight down into the cap/eyelet. I am using an anvil underneath and using the correct size setter for my line 20 snaps too. I've even used a mirror to make sure that I'm hitting the setter straight on and not from an angle.

Is there a technique for swinging the mallet? Setter suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate your advice...

Thanks!

Tap it slowly at first while leaning the tool slightly all around 360 degrees, once the bevel starts to form then you can start to hit a little more firmly and I never hit hard unless it's the final set tap. It takes a little practice, but if you're bending the post, you're hitting it too hard. It will bevel very easily. Alternatively you could invest in a snap setter they have a pin that comes up inside the post and is pressed down against a spring as the bevel is made, comes out perfect every time. They are pricey though with a press costing well over $100.00 on sale and the die sets costing about $80.00 each. The tools you're using will do the job just practice and don't hit so hard.

Hope that helps,

Chief

Exactly like Chief said. I will add that depending on how many snaps you need to set, the press is a real time saver and gives a perfectly set snap. If you only set a couple once in a blue moon, probably not worth it. Setting any number on a regular basis, especially on something you're selling..... Worth it.

Chuck

Thanks to you both! Good advice...I'll start practicing.

I don't have the money to purchase a press now, but I do set a fair amount of snaps and I do sell, so I might start saving up. Chuck, do you recommend a particular brand/model?

I have the big red Tandy press. Buy what dies you need now, and keeping checking the sales flyer if you want to expand your set. They put the dies on sale a couple times a year.

Chuck

Tandy has some videos on their site showing how to set snaps and you can see the circular motion Chief mentioned.

Also, look into a tool called a Press-N-Snap. I've heard nothing but good about it.

You can also search here for a couple of good links to how to convert a $50 1-ton arbor press into a leather press.

I have the big red Tandy press. Buy what dies you need now, and keeping checking the sales flyer if you want to expand your set. They put the dies on sale a couple times a year.

Chuck

I'm looking at getting one of these sometime this year, but have found the tandy one quite expensive. Looking on Ebay I've found a UK one that is basically 1/2 the price and comes with 100 or so snaps. Might be worth checking out ebay first.

Definitely. I've seen the same casting from different sellers for different prices. With Tandy you have to catch stuff on sale. Their pricing even with membership can get rediculous on some stuff. The press and dies included.

Chuck

Another quick tip in addition to theirs is to use appropriately sized rivets. I find that rivets that are really long are easier to bend as your are describing. If you are using the tandy style rivet setter and and you start to go diagonal...stop. Angle the rivet setter such that the setter lines up with post of the rivet (i.e. they are lined up in a diagonal direction). Then when you tap down, the rivet post is usually pushed down straight. Man, that is hard to describe. Does that make any sense at all?