RDCreations

Dying Tooled Leather, How Do I Get It To Stand Out?

Hello I am new to leather working and I am wondering how to get my boarders to stand out like this. I thank you and appreciate the help in advance. tooling4_zps49f31763.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The technique shown in the photo is antiqing. Once you are finished with your carving and stamping, you apply an antique paste or gel that is darker than your leather and then wipe it back off. The dark antique stays down in the stamps and carving, giving the effect in your picture. If you are in Missouri and are anywhere near Springfield, you can go to Springfield Leather. They have a variety of products that will do this and can probably give you lots of tips based on whatever kind of product you want to do.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Don't forget for apply some form of resist (Tan Kote, Bag Kote, Resolene...) before you apply your antique finish. You want the antiquing to stay just in the deeper cuts and wipe right off the flatter areas. Otherwise you might just dye the whole piece a darker color.

That looks like its burnishd to me. That happens when the leather is cased properly.e