rivetandleatherco

Sealing Pro Oil Dye

I had a custom order for one of my bags the customer wanted it in green. I used feibings pro oil dye. I let it dye for three days buffed out the extra dye and sealed it with bag coat. I had to refund the purchase as the dye rubbed off on her hands and coat. I have the bag back. what can I do to seal this bag?

I have never had a complaint of dye rubbing off when I used Resolene as my final finish, . . . even USMC black.

I normally use Pro Oil black and cowboy tan, . . . with no trouble with them either.

My "budd" down at Tandy swears up and down that their new water base dyes WILL NOT rub off, . . . but I cannot vouch for it yet. Honestly haven't had a job where I could use it, . . . but I'm looking.

May God bless,

Dwight

The new Professional Dyes are supposed to have a finish in them.

I've tested the Tan and the Bordeaux and I like the Bordeaux. The tan is a little dark for my tastes in Tan... But it may just be me.

I use Resolene all the time on Pro Oil black, on the back of belts that go with business men in khakis - no bleeding.

I let it dye for three days buffed out the extra dye and sealed it with bag coat.

1 Did you mean let it "dry" for three days?

2 Bag Kote doesn't seal very well unless you use multiple coats. It is more helpful as a glossing finish.

I suggest you wash the bag thoroughly with saddle soap or EZ Cleaner. Once its dry, hit it again with the Bag Kote if that's your usual finish. I use Pro Oil dye almost exclusively, in all the primary colours as well as various browns and black. The only time I get rub off is when I get carried away applying dye.

Good luck!