Sign in to follow this  
Chief31794

Another Bible Cover Going Out Today

Seems like these days folks are asking for either a Bible Cover or a Holster or both!

Chief

post-6362-0-96023400-1372427912_thumb.jp

post-6362-0-65793800-1372427919_thumb.jp

nice and clean. good job.

Thanks to both of you,

Chief

Seems like these days folks are asking for either a Bible Cover or a Holster or both!

Chief

...and some hide a SAA between the book covers ;) . Nice, clean stamping! I wonder how you managed to get around the medaillons (and make the impressions meet)!

LederRudi,

First I've visited Austria in the 1980's, beautiful country. I was stationed in Germany for 11 years of my 22 years in the Army. We did the salt mines, visited Salzburg, and Vienna as well. Anyway, I first make sure that the cover and the frames within the cover are square by laying them out carefully and measuring from corner to corner. I then center a Oval I have in several sizes traced on tracing film and center the ovals in the frame. I then transfer the designs and carve them, then I measure from side to side of the frame to get the exact middle at the top and bottom, I then scribe a very light line from top to bottom stopping about 1/2" from the top of the oval and starting back at about 1/2" from the bottom. I then set my dividers so that they are the exact distance apart as what ever basketweave stamp I'm using. I then mark a series of measurements on both sides of the line at the top and bottom and scribe all the lines very lightly skipping over the oval as before so that when I have them finished the lines will go from top to bottom on the sides of the oval and skip over the oval several times. I then start on the left side of the oval at a line that goes cleanly from top to bottom and still has another complete line to the right of it. I start at the bottom of that line and stamp my first set of basketweaves up that line. I then start working the basketweave as usual making sure that the stamp stays lined up with the lightly scribed lines, the scribed lines are obliterated from the stamping. I work all the way around the top and bottom keeping close to the oval and when I get on the other side of the oval I continue up one of the complete lines until i join the bottom and top, from there it is normal basket weaving except I stay on the scribed lines to keep it as uniform as possible. Hope that helps.

Chief

Edited by Chief31794

Hi Chief,

glad to read that you enjoyed your stay in Austria. I've been several times to the US and Canada (sightseeing [NY, Chicago, Southwest], canoeing, fishing [Yukon, Alaska, MN Boundary Waters]) and enjoyed it immensely.

Thanks for the elaborate description of the process.

When I made a book cover for a friend’s birthday last year, I stretched an oval till it had sharp points on top and bottom and thus divided the square. An oval sitting in the middle of even stamping looks much better of course.

Rudi