Sign in to follow this  
Tex Shooter

Clicking With The Arbor Press.

Before I had a clicker press I had a one ton USA made arbor press (I still have it). I used it for several operations. A friend of mine put me up to how to use it for clicking small items. The one ton arbor press is not enough muscle for clicking on its own, but here is how you can click with one. Of course you will need a couple of small steel plates. One for the ram and one for the base. I would not use very large ones and would mount the one on the base permanently making sure it is square with the ram. Then you need a piece of polypropylene for a pad. To click place the leather on the pad and the die on the leather and the top steel plates on the die. Pull the handle down and firmly hold it down. Then Strike the top ram sharply the with a poly or rawhide mallet. This is a slow process but it will work for small items and is much faster than hand cutting. -- Tex

I could see this working with key fobs perhaps, but even larger coasters might be too large. I'm curiouus what you've made with this process.

The item that I made with it had about 10 inches of clicking edge. It is the combination of lever pressure and the striking of the ram that gives the clicking power. It is also the pressure on the handle that keeps you from damaging the press. -- Tex