MartyS

Laser Cutting Machine Wattage For 10Oz Veg-Tan

Hi. All. I am considering the purchase of a laser cutting machine for cutting 8-10oz veg-tan leather.

From reading and speaking to factory reps it sounds like any laser wattage is fine for engraving or etching, but for cutting thicker material higher wattage is better. How many watts is best for cutting. And are there tradeoffs with a high power tube vs a low power one.

I have had recommendations range from 60 to 130 watts minimum. As well as using a lower watt machine with multi pass cuts.

If you have tips on wattage, speed, frequency, masking and cleaning edges/burns I would appreciate them. Thanks Marty

It sure will stink!!! Make sure it's vented to outside.....

Personally, I've not heard of anyone using lasers commercially to cut. There may be many reasons for this. I'd think the first issue would be the burned edges.

I do know the lasers that are in the 40W range are used to cut acrylics and burn wood. Been thinking of buying a cheap Chinese model just to play with, but need to research it first.

Hi, Here is a system my supplier in Norway offers, its a Korean system that uses laser heads from 200 up to 3000 watt. Synrad heads from 100 to 400 Watt and Rofin Sinar from 600 to 3000 Watt.

http://amatec.no/assets/files/Brosjyrer/Gerber/HiCUT%20C200%20Conveyor%20laser%20cutter.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=315419618502973

This will give you something to start your searching.

I never seen them in use other than online.

Tor

Hello. I've cut 8 oz. It took 2+ passes at 45 watts. So more is better, but the price goes up a lot.

-Nick

Have you considered a water jet? -- Tex

Hey, look into something called a drag knife attachment for a cnc router. I don't remember the link but I saw it a while back where they used it to cut out shapes I leather. No charring. Not sure what kind of detail you can get out of it vs. a laser but it might be cheaper and won't have the charred edges.

Andrew

StudioN - What does it do to the edges?

Have you seen or heard anything about those $750 Chinese lasers?

drag knife attachment for a cnc router.

Andrew

I think all the plotter style cutters only cut thin leather like for automotive interiors. I can't sew for beans, so i like the thicker stuff.

Have you considered a water jet? -- Tex

Hey Tex, Yeah I need the water jet, but I would have to win the lottery and then buy my wife a new house. I am also interested in the other things you can do with a laser, like engrave.

Hello. I've cut 8 oz. It took 2+ passes at 45 watts. So more is better, but the price goes up a lot.

-Nick

Hi Nick, Did you try using different frequencies for cutting? If not try the lower range.

StudioN - What does it do to the edges? Have you seen or heard anything about those $750 Chinese lasers?
It will char them. but because it does, it hardens them too. I generally have to wash the leather to get rid of all the loose residue.Some people don't wash them because they directly dip dye the leather, but you sure can't leave it natural because of all the smoke residue.On the cheaper lasers, one of the reasons they are cheaper is generally less power available, but more importantly you have to providean outside chiller to keep the tube cool, so you can expect some extra cost.
Hi Nick, Did you try using different frequencies for cutting? If not try the lower range.
Hello. wish I could but mine is a 2001 model laser. They didn't offer the multi-freq then. I'd love to have one,but this one has served me well. Edited by Studio-N

wish I could but mine is a 2001 model laser.

You might be able to change out the board for a new one.

I watched the drag knife video, very interesting. Is it cutting on a vacuum table? If so how come the blade doesn't drop down into the holes, or fail to cut through there.

Seems like it would work well for some materials and designs, but so well for others.

M

Hey there! I just joined tonight and I've been cutting garment and upholstery leathers with single passes on our Trotec 120W. We have also cut and engraved on oil tanned leather for a steampunk corset. With the 120W I generally cut at 45% power and a relatively fast speed of 3 and frequency of 15000 (not sure how that translates to other machines). Most of my leather cutting has been for a local 'special interest' shop and consists of letters to be appliqued and/or designs to have colored suedes applied behind them.

While the laser DOES brown the edges, most of our clients feel that it adds a finished look to the piece. For Vegtan we mask the surface before cutting, so any smoke deposits will only be on the bottom. We've optimized our venting also, which helps get the smoke away from the material as quickly as we can. I generally use a temporary spray mount to put it on poster board and set it for a kiss-cut so the board stays together and no pieces are lost. The biggest No-No I've learned when lasering leather is trying to squeeze out an extra piece or two from 'spongy' leathers. Those are going to shrivel up on you.