Steve75

Questions On Bible Cover

What weight leather should I use to best accomplish this project? Is there a pattern out there that will produce better results, or is just like making the paper bag covers for books like I did in grade school? My hope is to be able to perfect this in time to make one for a family member for Christmas.

Pretty simple really. I use three pieces for the cover. 5/6 for the tooled front and back and 2/3 for the spine. Sew it together and trim to fit. It needs to have just a little free space, not too much but not tight. Add a 3" flap on the front and rear, lace around the perimeter. Attached pic shows the spine but not the inside flaps. Aaron

post-2349-0-00745200-1373234959_thumb.jp

post-2349-0-14828800-1373234971_thumb.jp

I pretty much do the same as Electrathon described. Although I do have to say that I have made them differently. I have noticed that bibles range in size so I always try to have the bible in hand prior to construction.

I have made them out of all one piece with interior flaps or three peices (front, back and binding) with the binding overlapping the front about an inch. I agree that you need to make them a little oversized so that you can open and close them easily. The most form fitted one I have made I actually sewed the outside shell together first then wet the leather and sewed the interior flaps on with the bible in place. I did this for a very form fitted cover where the interior flaps covered the entire inside up to the pages.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help. When I have a completed cover I will post some pictures.