electrathon

I Am Holding In My Hand: Tiger Thread

This thread has came up as a topic of discussion a few times. I offered to organize a group buy and had no intrest so I just bought a few rolls. Pretty nice looking thread. It is woven instead of simply twisted. I will have to sew a little to see how well it sews and looks when done. It does remind me of the braided thread that Tandy sells, I have used a lot of that and it works well.

In hand I spent about $25 per 500 meter roll. A little spendy but not totally out of line.

Aaron

post-2349-0-28268200-1373310763_thumb.jp

I've purchased some from a forum member in Canada, and it's a joy to work with!

If you don't mind me inquiring, where did you purchase this?

I opened an account at Abby and imported it. I was going to do a group buy but got no interest when I posted about it.

I just bought 2 spools from Abby yesterday. Ready to get iit in and finish a few projects.

Is this a high end polished linen? How is the thread gauged, like 4, 5 or 6 cord like domestic linen? thanks steve

Wow, at 21 GB pounds plus shipping plus duty, you seem to have got it at less than the list price on the Abbey web site!

If there are others interested in this I have no objection to a group buy. You would have the cost of the thread and the next layer of shipping to you, so about $35 per 500 meter roll. It is really not that expensive, just a little hassle with the overseas issue. I have been using it for a little while now and I do like it.

Wow, at 21 GB pounds plus shipping plus duty, you seem to have got it at less than the list price on the Abbey web site!

I can put you on a group buy list. Are you getting it up in Canada or buying it from Abbey? What have you had to pay when you are buying to rolls you are splitting into short rolls? Or is there someplace selling short rolls?

Is this a high end polished linen? How is the thread gauged, like 4, 5 or 6 cord like domestic linen? thanks steve

No it's bonded braided polyester, it's similiar to the braided cord Tandy sells but has a much tighter braid. It's sized in millimetre width I generally use 1 mm width on 8 -10 oz leather.

Buying from overseas means you don't have to pay the UK VAT so it will be cheaper than Abbeys list price once you go to the checkout.

Edited by cem

If there are others interested in this I have no objection to a group buy. You would have the cost of the thread and the next layer of shipping to you, so about $35 per 500 meter roll. It is really not that expensive, just a little hassle with the overseas issue. I have been using it for a little while now and I do like it.

I'd be interested in going in for a group buy. Been wanting to get some Tiger for a while now. Just let me know when, how much I gotta pay, and how to get the money to ya.

oo wow I only live 15 minutes from these guys, didn't know they existed until I found this thread (no pun intended). Just spoke to them on the phone and I am going to visit the store and see the threads to get an idea of the thickness' etc..

This thread has came up as a topic of discussion a few times. I offered to organize a group buy and had no intrest so I just bought a few rolls. Pretty nice looking thread. It is woven instead of simply twisted. I will have to sew a little to see how well it sews and looks when done. It does remind me of the braided thread that Tandy sells, I have used a lot of that and it works well.

In hand I spent about $25 per 500 meter roll. A little spendy but not totally out of line.

Aaron

I like the thickness of the Tandy stuff. Should I go bigger than 1mm if I'm looking to get the same look in my finished work?

I like the thickness of the Tandy stuff. Should I go bigger than 1mm if I'm looking to get the same look in my finished work?

I believe the 1.2mm is about the size of the Tandy thread. Maybe someone else can speak up that is sure though.

I have both, electrathon is right go for 1.2mm in Tiger if you want the same look.

Got an answer on a different thread. Thank you for your help.

Did it take forever to open up an account for you on the Abbey website? It's very strange that you have to wait for activation on a site that you can only buy things from and it's even more weird you can't see pricing until activated. I understand waiting for a site like this where there are forums.

Did it take forever to open up an account for you on the Abbey website? It's very strange that you have to wait for activation on a site that you can only buy things from and it's even more weird you can't see pricing until activated. I understand waiting for a site like this where there are forums.

It was easy to do. All happens fast and once you are signed in you will see prices.

Well, it's day two and no word but an email that says waiting on an admin to activate and I got that immediately after trying to register...should I call or is this a normal thing? If it is I can only imagine the wait for their stuff to show up on my door. Hate waiting

It does take a little while for them to activate your account. If it doesn't happen soon just send them an email and ask about it. There customer service is quite outstanding.