queenslander

Swing Away Roller Edge Guide

Hi all, I have just taken delivery of a new Hightex 7441 / Cowboy 7441AE.My problem is it came with a swing away roller edge guide and no holes in machine head to bolt it to.My question is,should I drill the holes approx. 6mm through the head and then tap a thread,or only tap a hole say 8/10mm deep.My concern is if I drill all the way through metal filings falling down inside the machine i.e near shuttle.I would appreciate any feedback on this matter.

Put a large piece of cardboard under the pressure foot, big enough to catch the filings. Also put a small magnet to attract the filings.

Take pics, post them. Also, check and double check that the swing guide, if it came with an adapter, lines up the way you want it to, before drilling any holes. Also check, as best you can, that you are drilling through some meat of the casting, and also not into any of the sewing mechanism. Nothing hard or scientific about it, just make sure everything lines up 1st.

Hi again Sorry I should rephrase my topic. It is a drop down roller edge guide (adler style) have purchased bolts,taps,drills ect but was wondering if anyone knows the thickness of the cast where this bolts on to.I would like to think I had 10/12 mm. And if not, would I be able to drill right through and also the metal shavings falling inside,can they cause grief.Thanks again for any help.This is on a Hightex 7441 /Cowboy CB4500

I thought I had a pic of how we mount them but I must of gotten deleted.When mounting the guide,if you try to keep it to the left & still stay on the flat part of the casting you be ok,just drill only as deep as you need to maybe 13mm,it is pretty thick there.Let me know if you have anymore questions.We took a pic.

post-7185-0-13927400-1373458560_thumb.jp

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies,I was able to drill the holes 13mm in depth,without going through the cast(as Bob said it is quite thick in that area)also shortened the shaft on the foot lift lever by 6mm so as to miss the guide(saves grinding the black knob as someone on leatherworker had done) Also cut the adjusting bolt back to 26mm in length.All done and very happy how it turned out.

I simply used a couple of washers behind the foot lifter and positioned it 45 degrees clockwise on the shaft (so it stops down when the foot is lifted). With the washers on the shaft, it stays clear of the head when you move it (and you do not have to destroy the black knob).

Tor

Edited by Trox

You can also put the other screw(on the collar of the handlifter) in the groove & pull the lever foward to lift.