c2369zulu

My New Stitching Horse

Hello All.

I have a short story I want to share that shows how nice some people can be and it also shows why you should treat others the way you wish for them to treat you.

I have been working on a couple of National Park projects the last few years at a specific Park in the Midwest. I asked the Chief of Maintenance at the Park if he new anyone in the area who could make a stitching horse for me. He made a few phone calls and said he had a friend that would get back to me. I asked him about the contact a week later and he said to just be patient, he would get the info. Long story short, I had lunch with this friend in Maintenance and with the Park Superintendent before leaving to return to VA. Before we left for lunch, they said "I hope you have room in your moving trailer". I asked why, and they said "we have a gift for you". I was floored, when they pointed to a stitching horse sitting in the corner. I told them they were hard to come by and asked where they found it. The Park Superintendent said chuckling, "yeah they are hard to come by". I asked again where he found it, and he said "in my basement". I said, "you mean you had one already". He said "no, I made it". He said he used a combination of plans he found, some which came from the old 1920's era Farmers Woodwork book. He also added that the stitching horse was made from collected wood from a large annual local event near the Park. I was speechless and could not thank them enough. What a great gift.......Rory

post-22189-0-69303600-1373547275_thumb.j

Wow! What a nice thing for them to do..he probably put a lot of effort into that. It's beautiful :)

Thats quite a surprise gift! and from the color of the wood it looks like it might be made out of walnut. Regardless...its beautiful.

That's a nice story and a nice gift .