corsetfitzbakersfield

Jumped In With Both Feet..uh Oh!

ok, so i saw this ad on craigslist someone wanted patches put on their leather vest so i replied..long story short, here i am! i got the patches and the "brand new i might add) leather vest and today i have learnt my first lesson..there are inside pockets on this thing to which i did not realize for the 45 dollars i charged him...putting on 12 patches most are in the pocketed area. what i have opted to do was rip the lower seam open flip up the lining to expose the bare leather( hopefully making it easier to sew too), i prayed with everything i have please gid dont let me screw this mans brand new leather vest up..so now im stuck just looking at it.." did i do the right thing"?

Search "patcher", "Singer Patcher" and Singer 29K (29K-4, 29K60, 29K71). Your predicament illustrates, for me, just what a "patcher" sewing machine is intended to do. The small free-arm allows for access to tight spaces. These machines were mostly used, I've learned here, for shoe and boot repair, but are often suggested as perfect for the sewing on of patches on leather vests and jackets.

Ian

SF Bay Area

http://imcinnis.blogspot.com/

Just do a nice job. Your don't want the biker guys mad at you!

But yes, I agree that a patcher would reach inside the lining with a fairly small opening.

thanks fellas..but im not looking to purchase a new machine since my toyota does a fine job on my corsetry as patchwork looks like will be very temp..but i still have hope that the lord will not let me faulter..slow and steady

I'd avoid direct contact between pigskin and human skin. There are many unknown chemicals still residual from the tanning process. I'd try linng it with some heavy felt or similar absorbent material.

Good Luck, MIchelle

Edited by silverwingit

Hi Ya! As someone who had the same experience, yes you did the right thing, I made it clear for the first few folks that I wasn't comfortable opening up their vests so they needed to pick spots where there were no pockets or make sure they didn't want to use the pockets. Now that I have learned and built my confidence, AND have a machine that can sew through the larger seams and bottom thicknesses to put them back together, I have no problem popping out stitches and having at it.! Now I have to get those first few folks to part witht heir vests so I can giv ehtm their pockets back LOL.

i bought a cylinder arm machine so I can get in those little icky places when I do repairs. Have fun, patches can be a blast, as are the folks who want them put on. I've been surprised with some of the patches that didn't fit the 'personalities' who wear them! and have had some great giggles!

Just giv'er and remember that holes in leather don't go away!

Kat