cameronmoss

Preventing Immediate Wrinkles In New, Stiff, Veg-Tan Leather

Hi, I've got a question here regarding a few hides of natural vegtable tan steer leather I bought for leather handbags. The leather is very stiff, dry, and pale and the way I have the bag stuctured, a very large piece comprises both the front and the back and needs to remain faily stiff for the structure to work. I plan to sell these at a higher price point and I'm worried about wrinkles that developed at the handle and when I inverted the bag after sewing. What is the best way to prevent at least the intitial wrinkles so it displays nicely? My plan was just to apply tan-kote but it will take a lot. Perhaps a thin layer? Any better suggestions?

Thanks, Cameron

post-42855-0-25181500-1373578504_thumb.j

Edited by cameronmoss

Your photo appears to be "Leg" or "Belly" maybe neck, leather. You need to buy some of the better and more expensive hides if you wish to do this type of work.

Cheap hides will have a lot of wrinkles. Looks okay with some goods.

ferg

I would agree,you need some better leather to start out with..

Stiff, dry, pale, wrinkley leather does not sound like the leather that justifies high price point work. Before I read fergs comment I also thought I saw fat wrinkles. What brand leather are you using? Herman Oak or Wicket and Craig are good.

Thanks all for getting back so quick. I don't know the brand, but I paid $6/sq.ft. which I wouldn't consider cheap. The only other one that had the stiff quality that I need available at Global Leather in Manhattan was Tango. I would love to use a domestic producer so thanks elecrathon for the suggestions.

To be clear, I bought half hides and it seems to wrinkle easily all around the hide. It doesn't crack and perhaps dry is too harsh a word. It seems dry because it wrinkles fairly easily. If I keep using this leather, can expect that tan-kote with help when I have to invert the bag inside out to prevent wrinkles?

Cameron

I think sewing the bag wrong side out and then turning it right side out is causeing the problem more than anything. I'm guessing that's what your talking about when say inverting the bag. In my IMHO opinion you need to using chrome tan if that's the way they need to be made.

Edited by dirtclod

I agree. Turning Veg tan of any thickness at all will make it appear wrinkled.

Unfortunately, the cost of good leather is some times relative. You really need to see what you are buying if you wish to make high end products or most other items worthy of your talent.

ferg