Monthly Challenge Project Poll  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see as a Monthly Challenge Topic?

• Lacing
    • Stitching
    • Period correct project
    • Article of Clothing
    • Utilitarian items
    • Cosplay Items
    • Other
  2. 2. Would you be interested in running a Monthly Challenge?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, please talk to me about it.

Ok, so I wanted to know what other projects you might be interested in for future Challenge Projects. Let us know!

I voted for "other".

One of the nice things about the monthly challenge is that it invites people to try something new or apply something they already know in a new way. One of the challenges with the challenges, is that sometimes the topic is a bit too narrow. For instance, not everyone is interested in cosplay or has a use for a costume piece, so you'll find a lot of people passing up that particular challenge.

Everyone has their niche, whether it's holsters or handbags or armor, and broadening the challenge topic to more of a "theme" would invite more folks to participate. I recall a previous challenge in the summer with a "fire" theme. You had people submitting photos of projects with fire tooled on them, other projects using fiery colours, and projects incorporating flames in other ways. This theme allows anyone to apply the challenge to a kind of project they like, with room to apply it to a new kind of project they're learning.

My favourite past challenge was the "break through" one, even though I wasn't able to participate in it. The challenge was thought provoking, and there were many different ways the theme could be applied to pretty much any kind of project.

Hope this helps!

Another suggestion would be to make the challenges more of a contest. A little friendly competition might get people more interested in participating. Maybe we can work with the website moderaters to make a blog post with the "winner" (chosen by poll on the forums). So, first prize would be a bit of publicity.

Another suggestion would be to make the challenges more of a contest. A little friendly competition might get people more interested in participating. Maybe we can work with the website moderaters to make a blog post with the "winner" (chosen by poll on the forums). So, first prize would be a bit of publicity.

Absolutely. Many people are driven by competition. Take the goal posts off a football field and the game is far less fun. I remember in the past some of the contests had a pattern, everyone would tool it in their style. I liked that. People could enter as beginning, intermediate and advanced, someone could be chosen as the judge. No real award needed, just email out a "winner" certificate. Aaron

I like the idea of it being more a contest, but as I am not the originator of the monthly Challenge, I will have to talk to DoubleC about that. Some good thoughts so far! Keep them coming

If you vote "Other" Please post in here what your "Other" is!

I voted for "other".

One of the nice things about the monthly challenge is that it invites people to try something new or apply something they already know in a new way. One of the challenges with the challenges, is that sometimes the topic is a bit too narrow. For instance, not everyone is interested in cosplay or has a use for a costume piece, so you'll find a lot of people passing up that particular challenge.

Everyone has their niche, whether it's holsters or handbags or armor, and broadening the challenge topic to more of a "theme" would invite more folks to participate. I recall a previous challenge in the summer with a "fire" theme. You had people submitting photos of projects with fire tooled on them, other projects using fiery colours, and projects incorporating flames in other ways. This theme allows anyone to apply the challenge to a kind of project they like, with room to apply it to a new kind of project they're learning.

My favourite past challenge was the "break through" one, even though I wasn't able to participate in it. The challenge was thought provoking, and there were many different ways the theme could be applied to pretty much any kind of project.

Hope this helps!

I totally agree Lightingale.

I've only participated in one monthly challenge (breakthrough) ..but it was theme based and each of the participants had their own individual design and ideas. I learned a great deal with my project....largely because I was motivated by the challenge to do the research and to try several things for the first time. But I also learned a great deal (probably more) from ideas and varied designs of the other participants. It was a win..win all around for me.

Edited by Harley Corns

If you vote "Other" Please post in here what your "Other" is!

Something using pyrography on leather. Simple artwork, utilitarian item, or ?????????

God Bless.

Ray