I just completed a zippered carrying case for my pistol. My first attempt at putting together a zipper and installing it. I duplicated my pistol at near life size and I embossed it to make it stand up from the leather. I lined it with brown pig skin suede and used one inch thick foam padding to protect the pistol.

post-35776-0-43506800-1374027060_thumb.j

post-35776-0-86011300-1374027078_thumb.j

post-35776-0-89746300-1374027091_thumb.j

post-35776-0-24042400-1374027137_thumb.j

post-35776-0-70438700-1374027243_thumb.j

Gees Louise! You went ballistic on that! Real nice job! I like it!

Bill

Edited by Cogs

That's just awesome!

Very nice stitching lace and emboss.

Nice job on the pistol case! I don't recall seeing another posted and it's always good to see some variety.

Personally, I don't care much for the stamping and painting - but only because I prefer my pistol case to be low-key and not attract much attention from would-be thieves and such.

I've thought about doing one of these for a semi-auto and including some pouches in the unused space for magazines. Another thought would be to include a smaller zippered pocket on the outside for magazines or spare bullets.

Thanks for posting this! Now, post more stuff!!!!

I just completed a zippered carrying case for my pistol. My first attempt at putting together a zipper and installing it. I duplicated my pistol at near life size and I embossed it to make it stand up from the leather. I lined it with brown pig skin suede and used one inch thick foam padding to protect the pistol.

Great work!!! May I ask what you used to line the case with?

Thanks for all the compliments

Personally, I don't care much for the stamping and painting - but only because I prefer my pistol case to be low-key and not attract much attention from would-be thieves and such.

The main reason I did all the tooling and letter carving was because this is my entry into the Missouri State Fair competition and is designed to primarily be a show piece rather than an everyday use item.

Great work!!! May I ask what you used to line the case with?

I used brown pigskin suede for the lining over 1 inch thick foam padding.

I entered this in the Missouri State Fair and just got the judging results back. I won first in my class and best of show in the tooled leather division.

I entered this in the Missouri State Fair and just got the judging results back. I won first in my class and best of show in the tooled leather division.

Excellent!!!!

Great case! I made a similar one a couple of years ago for a friend, with basket weave and a personalized patched sewn to it. I lined it with wool, but like the suede. I've been meaning to make one for myself and have just been too busy, but seeing your's makes me want to get it done.

While I don't care for the tooling you selected, I do very much like the whole case.

Very nicely done!

Joel

I love your case! Wondering if you can share any advice for sewing in the zipper. I've already tooled mine, but I've been a little paralyzed in how I want to try and sew the zipper. I have a Cobra 4, so I'd like to sew by machine. My biggest question is whether whether to use a gusset for the zipper and then sew onto the main body? It looks like you sewed the zipper to a gusset or strips of veg tan then sewed to the body? Seems like there are lots ways to screw it up:)

Thanks in advance!

I love your case! Wondering if you can share any advice for sewing in the zipper. I've already tooled mine, but I've been a little paralyzed in how I want to try and sew the zipper. I have a Cobra 4, so I'd like to sew by machine. My biggest question is whether whether to use a gusset for the zipper and then sew onto the main body? It looks like you sewed the zipper to a gusset or strips of veg tan then sewed to the body? Seems like there are lots ways to screw it up:)

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the compliment on my gun case.

I was also pretty much in a quandary about the zipper as I had never done one before. I did make my gusset out of a couple of strips of veg tan and sewed the zipper tape in with my Tippmann Boss. I actually learned how to do this from Al Stohlman's Art of Making Leather Casea, volume Two. I pretty much got all the info I needed on pg.30 and pages 115 & 116. It explains the process better than I can and has easy to follow pictures and instructions. Thinking about it in advance had me baffled and worried, but once I got the book and followed the instructions it went real smooth and works flawlessly.

I hope this heps you out.

Clint

Super nice lacing and zipper work.

Hey Clint, thanks for the info. I'll check out that Stohlman book. I must have looked at the earlier version last time I was at Tandy to see if there was an example of something similar. Best, Mike

BTW, do you have a reference material for the two color lacing that you did, it look beautiful:)

Hey Clint, thanks for the info. I'll check out that Stohlman book. I must have looked at the earlier version last time I was at Tandy to see if there was an example of something similar. Best, Mike

BTW, do you have a reference material for the two color lacing that you did, it look beautiful:)

Mike, I learned the two tone double loop lacing from another book I picked up from Tandy. It is "Lacing and Stitching for Leathercraft". It's only a 20 page book and the two tone double loop lacing is on pages 17 & 18.

Clint