DavidL

Difference Between Vergez Blanchard Pricking Iron

What is the difference between vergez blanchard pricking irons that have different "dents" are those considered teeth on the pricking iron? I would love to hear some feedback from anyone that bought a pricking iron or their sewing awl from vergez blanchard website.

Thank you.

The French word for teeth is "dents". Remember the movie "Jaws"? The French title is "Dents de la Mer". "Teeth of the Sea" as a literal translation. I get a laugh out of it every time I see it. That's the language lesson for today!

Tom

The French have not used inches for centuries. They have to express these things differently than Dixons or Osborne.

can anyone recommend a good place to get 4-tooth and 2-tooth Blanchard pricking irons that actually have them in stock right now for a decent price. before anyone tears into me like last time, yes i know they're not cheap i'm just trying to find somewhere that isn't charging 2-3 times what they cost most other places that's all.

can anyone recommend a good place to get 4-tooth and 2-tooth Blanchard pricking irons that actually have them in stock right now for a decent price. before anyone tears into me like last time, yes i know they're not cheap i'm just trying to find somewhere that isn't charging 2-3 times what they cost most other places that's all.

I just ordered one and a scratch compass about 2 minutes ago from fineleatherworking. I didnt see anywhere selling them cheaper and Im not even sure they are worth it but didnt want to spend $40 on a pricking iron that was useless and have to buy another a month later so I decided to take the plunge. Where do you know of that has them for cheaper when in stock? Also not sure about what seller you know but no tax and free shipping so for the iron I paid exactly $109.

Gonna find out soon enough if its worth it but Im sure they will save some wear on my awl blade and a bit of time as well.

did you buy the last 2-tooth one they had?

anyone know of anywhere else besides fine leather whatever that has them? i don't intend to wait months for them to get them back in stock.

Edited by LTC

On Ebay there is a seller called "rockymountainleather" listing new Vergez Blanchard tools. Have a look. The prices seem very fair and he's made a lot of sales. Just search for Vergez Blanchard.

Good luck!

i'll check it out. thanks...

On Ebay there is a seller called "rockymountainleather" listing new Vergez Blanchard tools. Have a look. The prices seem very fair and he's made a lot of sales. Just search for Vergez Blanchard.

Good luck!

I was going to mention the same thing about the seller on ebay. He has the compass I ordered as well for a few dollars cheaper. But I have ordered from frineleatherworking once already so I decided to order from them again.

I didnt order a 2 tooth iron. just a 4 tooth iron

still wondering where i might be able to pick up a 2-tooth and 4-tooth iron sometime in the foreseeable future. (i.e. not "backordered")

i tried contacting the ebay guy and he just ignores my messages, so i guess he's out.

i also checked on buying from Vergez Blanchard directly and they appear to want 59 euros to ship two small pricking irons to the US. PASS.

Edited by LTC

How many spi are you looking for? I just went to fineleatherworking where I ordered mine and it let me add a 4tooth iron to my cart so I think they have them. Did you call and they told you otherwise.

I have messaged the ebay seller before who sells vergez and he got back to me very fast and was helpful.

Out of curiosity..How much are they directly from Vergez?

The prices listed on vergez blanchard are retail prices, and are similar, if not more, than what you can get them for here.. plus the large shipping cost. I have a 4 tooth 10spi that i can let go for 100 with free shipping, if you want. That's 10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else. I used it only a couple of times before deciding to go with the 11 and 2 tooth combo.

i want to get the 4-tooth and a 2-tooth at the same time...in particular from fineleatherworking.com because if i have to order the 2-tooth one later (whenever they finally get them again), it won't qualify for free shipping. and the 2-tooth is backordered for weeks or months...who knows...

they're actually a little cheaper from VB (except for the outrageous shipping)...about $118 for a 6-tooth and $40 for the 2-tooth...also you're not forced to choose from one single SPI size (9) and either 10, 4, or 2 teeth as you are from fineleatherworking.com...you can get any SPI and any number of teeth you want direct from VB.

if it weren't for the exorbitant shipping charges, i'd place an order with them. oh well. :)

and i emailed that ebay guy twice now and he's just ignoring me. makes me not want to exactly hurry up to give him any money.

The prices listed on vergez blanchard are retail prices, and are similar, if not more, than what you can get them for here.. plus the large shipping cost. I have a 4 tooth 10spi that i can let go for 100 with free shipping, if you want. That's 10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else. I used it only a couple of times before deciding to go with the 11 and 2 tooth combo.

thanks for the offer, but i'm looking to get a 7spi...or 8spi if i can't find the two i want in 7spi...

thanks again...