jacket potato

Do Copper Rivets Change Their Color With Use?

Hi.

I have a question for those of you who use copper rivets please. I am making a men briefcase for someone and this is my first briefcase at all. I would like to use copper rivets for the handle and shoulder strap attachments and since I have never used these rivets before I would like to know - are they going to change their color with use? Will they green? I am going to use Eco Antique Gel Saddle Tan color and I am going to use wax mixture for some waterproof (my customer asked me to). The mixture contains two waxes (beeswax and carnauba), linen seed oil and turpentine. I know the copper does not really match saddle tan but I do not have anything else except of those antique brass rapid rivets from Tandy and I am not sure they are strong enough to last for years (if you think they are - please let me know so my problem is solved). I am wondering if these copper rivets will change color after some time? I think it would be nice if they darkened a bit to go with the main bag color, but it would be bad if they gone green or something else weird. I do not want the man to come back for his money as I do not like upsetting my customers. If copper is not good, then could you advise me some strong and reliable rivets to hold the strap and the handle like forever please? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

The buckles and strap holders and dees are solid brass.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards,

Era

Yes, depending on the chemicals in the leather and the moisture in the air they will tarnish or turn green with hard growth ickyness on them. When I started in leatherwork I used them till I saw what happens a year later. You want to use tubular stainless steel rivets The look good and they hold. The jiffy rivets should be used for nothing but ornamentation and are a poor choice for that.

Yes, depending on the chemicals in the leather and the moisture in the air they will tarnish or turn green with hard growth ickyness on them. When I started in leatherwork I used them till I saw what happens a year later. You want to use tubular stainless steel rivets The look good and they hold. The jiffy rivets should be used for nothing but ornamentation and are a poor choice for that.

Thank you! Are these the ones?

http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/search/site-search-results.aspx?sectionpath=3&processor=content&p_keyword=tubular

And is that the setting tool?

As electrathon has said, it really depends what the copper is in contact with. I have an old briefcase I had to reinforce handle and shoulder strap attachment points so used copper rivets. The bag is always dry, the climate is dry, and no contamination from any chemicals. So the rivets have just darkened very slightly. I have harness that is near 100 years old, has been in the mud and everything else, some of the rivets are green, but dry, while others are green and wet with verdigris.

Since you have no control over where and how the briefcase will be used and maintained, take electrathon's advice.

Tom

Edit

The rivets you reference are not stainless steel, but rather steel with a plating added on top. How well they will last depends on how well the plating adheres to the base material, and how thick it is. Better rivets cost more.

Edited by northmount

I found tubular rivets in Tandy store and I also found tubular rivets on Abbey

http://abbeyengland.com/Store/tabid/77/catpagesize/0/Default.aspx?txtSearch=tubular+rivet

these look different - they have caps? Which are the right ones?

The ones at Abbey are what are called jiffy rivets here, not good ones. The quality ones flair open to look like a star when set.

The ones at Abbey are what are called jiffy rivets here, not good ones. The quality ones flair open to look like a star when set.

So it is more like those on Tandy but made of stainless steel? They have the setting tool with that "star looking" surface which makes the exact split you are talking about Electrathon. I keep searching internet for an hour now and found a lot and nothing, probably because I do not really know what a "proper" s/s tubular rivet should look like.. Most of those I see out there look like tandy ones but they are called "semi-tubular" which confuses even more..

Is there any chance someone could show me a photo of a good and long lasting tubular rivet please? I am not asking to search the internet for me, I will do it myself, but I just need to know exactly what to look for. Some picture would help a big deal...

Thanks again for help!

I will try this again. Was typing and all of a sudden the page went away.

Take a look through the Ohio Travel Bag Catalog online.

They have nearly all of the rivets used today and good pics and information that may be of use.

www.ohiotravelbag.com

Hope this is of value.

God Bless.

Ray

Some places call them "splash" rivets.

In my experience, copper rivets, when taken care of turn more of a caramel brown, even when used heavily (I've done a fair amount of armor repair for SCA folks who use their armor regularly) They CAN turn green however. So the stainless seems like the best way to go.

Thank you very much everyone for the input and thank you for the link Raysouth! Great store!

Thank you!

fyi just looked in ohio travel bag website and decided to order catalog.

they will not send me a catalog because i am not a business, i do leatherworking as a hobby.

they sent me to a page and said i need to tell them what my project is and they will direct me to the right people for parts.

dont know how long it takes them to decide what people i need to go to.