simontuntelder

Keepall / Travel Bag Pattern

I was approached by a return customer the other day wanting me to make a custom travel bag for him (yay!). The only problem is that I haven't made many bags, and I've never made a bag this big (nay!). But I'm quite interested in taking on the job, as the customer is a doctor and money is no object to him and it would be a personal challenge for me - plus it could give me a couple of days not doing the same old boring stuff like belts and wallets.

Basically he wants something along the lines of the classic Louis Vuitton keepall / travel bag (See the attached file), but he wants it to be more simple, rugged and manly and it must live up to the standard carry-on luggage size.

So I was hoping that someone could point me in the direction of a similar pattern (that I can tweak myself) or a tutorial or if someone can give me some friendly advice or suggestions on how to construct it and so on.

I should be said that I hand sew everything, so that should probably also be taken into consideration, when making a pattern.

Thanks in advance

Google carry on bag regulations. Then get some kraft, butcher,construction paper. Start cutting, stapling, paper clipping until you get what you want. A tru custom design. If money is no object give the doc what he wants

,a one off design. A custom design speaks more for it's self than a generic pattern. That's my 2 cents. Ross

i am curently working on a large duffle bag for myself. All hand stitched. It was/is a challenge laying out the design. It is the first Ive doen. (Actually the whole reason I started leather work... wanted to make a bag.... now a year later of making everything else, Ive finally started on it HAHA.)

Anyways, I am using 9/10oz leatehr for a good heavy bag, and decided the best way to sew such thick leather was by jointing the edges. Took the french edger and made the 45 degree on end caps and inside the body piece of leather and sewed it up. I still have the other end to do before i worry about getting the top zipper on.... only advice I can really give is make sure you measure 100 times! good luck! keep us posted!

993043_295456403933389_1972945209_n.jpg

Edited by jessebeckham

Hi, sorry about the late response, and thank you for chipping in.

Torquewrench: You're absolutely right. I wouldn't copy the pattern, I would only study it to understand the construction better. I've never been afraid of the old paper and scissor pattern making method, but this is a large project with costly materials, that I wouldn't want to mess up.

Conceptdiba: I'm talking about this bag.

2-11701-124961--louis-vuitton-monogram-keepall-55-duffle-bag--authentic-louis-vuitton-monogram-keepall-duffle-tote-bag.jpg

Jessebeckman: It looks like you're making yourself a nice, sturdy travel bag. I will last for a couple of lifetimes in such a thick leather.

Look up "Peter Nitz" on facebook he's got an album of him making a bag very similiar to that one but with pictures of each step.

did you come up with anything for a patter? Started the bag yet? Progress?

did you come up with anything for a patter? Started the bag yet? Progress?

Hi Jesse, there hasn't been any progress yet. Despite having a design ready, but I have thousands of designs ready. So basically, no progress.

I have had a build up of orders that need to be finished before I take on any larger orders.

But it will get made at some point and I'll try to show the progression and finished product here.

I always enjoy looking at the Col Littleton website and catalog to see the cool stuff they carry. Lots of great ideas for you there. I use it for ideas and modify so I'm not making a copy of those. Give it my own custom touches.

http://www.colonellittleton.com/

does anyone have a pattern to this bag. Love it

I made something similar as a custom order- using a 'carpet-bag' pattern.

Iirc some time back dusty Johnson did an article on a smaller bag like that in the leather workers and Saddlers journal. He made it for carring his six shooters and gun belt in plus iirc. For a truly custom case you'll need to do more than construct it, you'll need to tool it with a pattern or stamp it at least. Or both stamp it except for a place on each side where you carve and tool the owners initials or a horse head or both.

I have the Lv Keep All and it's way too big for a carry on but, check out this site that sells PDF patterns real reasonable.

http://www.lzpattern.com

This looks close to what you described:

main-228x228.jpg