chriscraft

Vintage Bicycle Leather Tank

I've been working on these vintage bicycle leather tanks for a couple months and have improved my design. This is the third one I've made. It's not suppose to replace an original metal tank. Designed for the vintage bicycle customizer that doesn't like the original look. The purist bicycle collectors will frown at this tank but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Constructed from 8-9oz. HO and stitched with 346 bonded thread, size 26 needle on a Cobra Class machine.

post-38453-0-95620800-1374531461_thumb.j

post-38453-0-53576400-1374531467_thumb.j

post-38453-0-92474700-1374531473_thumb.j

This is awesome. I love it.

Very Nice!

Beautiful, what is a bicycle tank?

Beautiful, what is a bicycle tank?

I was told by a vintage bicycle collector that during the early 1900's, they were used as a glove compartment on a bicycle. These small tanks were made from metal and used as a built in bicycle storage area. The tanks mounted to the crossbar tube between rider and handlebars. These early metal tanks came with small doors. Later when they started building bicycles (1930's) for young adults and kids, they no longer had doors and would mount by bolting one side to the other. These pre war metal tanks incorperated a built in battery powered horn. These were used till the 1950's. As you can imagine, when a bicycle was dropped, these metal tanks would get damaged and sometimes removed. These are sought after by collectors now and premium dollar is paid for a nice example. Not all vintage tanks are the same and were specific to each model. Some rare bikes are the best examples of top dollar tanks.

My leather tank is a throw back to the early compartment door storage tanks. The reason I decided to built it is to practice my case building skills. I will never be compensated for my time spent constructing these tanks as no one will install a $280 item on a $80 bicycle. But they will pay $1000 for a nice leather tooled case to carry a $2000 fly fishing rod/reel. At least thats what I think.

I just started leatherworking Febuary of this year. This hobby is expensive so building a few items to pay for materials will keep me practicing till I get better and faster at building. Chris

Edited by chriscraft

That is very nice. One of the most unusual projects I have seen on here. Everything looks flawless to me. It will really make that bicycle stand out.

That is very nice. One of the most unusual projects I have seen on here. Everything looks flawless to me. It will really make that bicycle stand out.

That's what I intended to accomplish. My father inlaw challenged me to build something new. He said, " why do leatherwork if your just going to build key fobs". He's a retired NASA Apollo MIssion Engineer to put it in small words. So That's when I showed him this tank. My construction impressed him to say the least. It's hard for me to understand if he is complementing me or saying," Who really needs this large key fob anyway"

Beautiful work. I know what you mean about the craft. Money doesnt enter into it.

Once i made a comment to my wife about the money she spends on clothes and shoes. She took me by the hand down to my shop and pointed to the tools.

Here is a picture of a 1920 vintage men's bicycle with a metal tank that I took at the HD museum. The side door is located on the right side and not shown in this pic.

post-38453-0-33154700-1374704734_thumb.j

Another custom leather tank I'm working on. This one will replace the rusted out metal tank and will serve as advertisement for a custom bicycle builder. His logo is tooled into the new leather tank. It will also get a matching leather seat that I'll also build.

post-38453-0-65432900-1374705324_thumb.j

post-38453-0-29464800-1374705328_thumb.j

Wow, that is incredible, my hat is off to you!

Thanks so much.

Here are some pictures of the delivered black leather tank/saddle installed by owner. Again, these tanks are custom and designed for custom vintage bicycles. They just might not look right on a stock bike. These California creations are called "Rat Rod Bikes". Following the style of the Rat Rod Hotrods by using vintage 1930's-40's bicycles and not restoring them to like new condition. Surface Rust is king on these cool rides. I'm just adding leather to the build. Chris

post-38453-0-07599500-1374962822_thumb.j

post-38453-0-94299500-1374962825_thumb.j

Edited by chriscraft

I like it. Very nice.