rawhide1

Rawhide Quirt

Well it's been awhile since I've posted anything and longer since I've braided something. And after seeing some of the work being posted I almost didn't post this. But what the heck here goes!

I braided this for my daughter to use when she runs barrels and poles. The wrist strap is a four strand roo over a strip of rawhide. It's 8" long. The body is sixteen strand over a leather core. Including the popper It's 25.5" long. The two long knots are 8 bight knots with others being 6 bights. A few years back we had to put my daughters gelding down due to west nile(they think) so she wanted his tail hair worked into it. So I used it for a interweave and to skirt the poppers. Over all it turned out alright it has a great feel and action to it. Were I used the gaucho pattern it could of used a interweave. But I have never done that and didn't have time to figure it out. The strings were a nice brown color due to me dying it with coffee but I over worked the strings and you can see the result in color loss. It honestly looks better in person than these pics. show. I guess pictures really show the nitty gritty of stuff!!

Mike

post-4953-0-67559300-1374811380_thumb.jppost-4953-0-75619000-1374811429_thumb.jp

post-4953-0-17023500-1374811495_thumb.jppost-4953-0-10304600-1374811533_thumb.jp

Mike, Very nice. I like the way you used the horsehair. Do you make your own rawhide or buy. Your rawhide looks like great quality with nice even color. Thanks for showing. Buck

Thanks fellas. I for sure need to get back at it. Can anyone give me a source for interweaving the gaucho.

Thanks again, Mike

Nice work, Mike. Incorporating the horse hair is a great touch. I'll bet your daughter loves it.

Pete

Pete thanks for the kind words. And yes she does love it. And although I wished it had turned out better. Having her be happy with it makes me feel better about it.

Mike

Looks good, the string is cut even and it looks like good hide with nice color.

Buck

I forgot to tell ya I got my rawhide from Bill Confer. He seems to have pretty good hide.

Leatherpownder

Thanks I've gotten alright at cutting string. Just because I screw up so much. I gotta cut a lot of it. I bet i cut all those knots off at least two or three times. The strings for the knots was a real nice dark Carmel color from dying it with coffe. But I had to go back and retighten them. It seemed that pulled the color right out of them.

I'll keep looking at your stuff for inspiration !!

Mike

Tanthathide9

I haven't been on here in awhile. So my apologizes for not answering sooner.

I don't have a set size I shoot for. I try to build the piece to fit the person it's for. This was for my 14y/o daughter so I built the handle dia. Smaller than if it had been for a full growed woman or man. I also made it shorter as she uses it to run barrels. I hope this answered your question if not holler at me again.

I apologize again for the late response.

Mike

The revised book Braiding Rawhide Horse Tack should help with the interweave on a gaucho button, as well as Gail Hought's braiding books.