wavemechanics

New To Leatherwork In Sf Bay Area

Hello Everyone! I'd just like to say I'm finding this site very helpful as a beginner to working with leather. There aren't many places to learn this particular craft and paying the amount asked for classes in this area is not an option for me. I'm currently trying to figure out which tools will suit me best as an amateur and am narrowing down the materials I'll be using for the meantime as my budget and skill are similarly very small. If anyone knows of any "cost effective" resources I could use in the San Francisco area please let me know. Thank you all in advance! Have a great day :)

Edited by wavemechanics

Been awhile since I was in the Bay Area (grew up in Fairfield). Look around for a Tandy store as they have free classes in the basics, they may also know of someone close to you that might tutor you. Also look to see if there might be a leather working Meetup.com group in the area. What type of work do you want to do, IE; carved, wallets, clothing, holsters, ?????

If your in the city there's Frank in the mission if you need basic tools and small amounts of leather. The Hide house in napa has even more tools, leathers (for better pricing and volume) and supplies. There's also a Tandy in San Bruno that has classes.

Actually, the Tandy in San Bruno (closest Tandy store for me) hasn't had classes for about a year. Which is too bad because I just started dabbling in leathercrafting a few months ago. I went to the east bay to check out the Union City store a few weeks back and got excited when I learned about the classes they were offering. So I showed up last Saturday the 20th for carving an braiding classes only to find out they were cancelled at the last minute because the regional manager showed up and decided the store was a mess so he started doing an inventory and used the class area for that. He didn't indicate how soon the classes would resume but i hope it will be soon. I haven't found any leathercrafting meet ups in the area, but if you find one or start one, please let me know!

Jessi

There is a guild called the Silicon Valley Leather Guild that meets over that way once a month or so.

Actually, the Tandy in San Bruno (closest Tandy store for me) hasn't had classes for about a year. Which is too bad because I just started dabbling in leathercrafting a few months ago. I went to the east bay to check out the Union City store a few weeks back and got excited when I learned about the classes they were offering. So I showed up last Saturday the 20th for carving an braiding classes only to find out they were cancelled at the last minute because the regional manager showed up and decided the store was a mess so he started doing an inventory and used the class area for that. He didn't indicate how soon the classes would resume but i hope it will be soon. I haven't found any leathercrafting meet ups in the area, but if you find one or start one, please let me know!

Jessi

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't taken a class at the Tandy in San Bruno since they initially moved into that location. I'm not surprised that they don't have classes any more as it was just two other people and myself in the last class I attended.

Thank you everyone! Yes, I initially went to the Tandy store in Union City. The regional manager was there and pointed me to the direction of where the tools are. Afterwards, a worker there helped me out and I inquired about the classes. He told me they haven't had any in a long time and that their website would update with a schedule once they do. I was really looking forward to those classes as well. I didn't know of the store in Napa so I'll have to check that out one day. I did check out the San Bruno and it's really close and convenient. Does "Frank" have a store I should check out is he a member here? In any case, it's always nice to have options as far as resources go. I'd like to make a number of things, but namely holders for my various devices and tools, wallets, bags, and maybe one day an leather briefcase. I've been gathering as much info and books that I can and have been reading through material daily. I've also been watching countless youtube videos on the subject by most of the popular leathercraftsmen on there.

So far I've made some very rough ipod holders and a slim wallet for my work badge. My craft currently suffers from tool deprivation but I'm looking to remedy that, at least partly in the next coming weeks. I'd like to get a number 3 edge beveler and possibly something for smoothing those edges. Tan kote maybe? I'm a newb so I might be thinking of something else by another name.

Anyways, I hope I can become as skilled as many of you on this board. Your all an inspiration to me :)

Google S H Frank in SF. They don't have a website. The place doesn't have a lot of tools but they do have a lot of leather and buckles and stuff. They can be a bit difficult to deal with if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. It's not really a retail store but a warehouse that does mostly wholesale I think.

Andrew

Google S H Frank in SF. They don't have a website. The place doesn't have a lot of tools but they do have a lot of leather and buckles and stuff. They can be a bit difficult to deal with if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. It's not really a retail store but a warehouse that does mostly wholesale I think.

Andrew

I concur, Frank's really doesn't have much in terms of tools. They have tons of really good scrap leather if you looking to make a couple of small projects. Some of the people working there are flat out a-holes, so don't take it personal as that's just the way they are. I try and get the same guy to help me and he recognizes me now and just let's me wander and shop.

I tried looking up S H Frank in SF and the yelp reviews are a little intimidating :( Being a newcomer to this, I'd probably wait until I know a little more about what I'm asking for before taking the leap and going there in person. The place in Napa looks very promising though. I'd probably check that one out first. Quick question for everyone in the bay. Did you guys go to a school to learn this or just start doing things yourselves and learned via trial and error? Just wondering :)

There's also Westernstorex in Burlingame. Lots and lots of fasteners as well as tools.

http://www.westernstorex.com/

Thanks for the reminder, I keep meaning to check that out but keep forgetting about it.

Wave mechanics - I'm essentially self taught, I've only taken two classes at Tandy. What I've learned from this forum, videos online and books has been more valuable than the Tandy classes. That's not to say there's no value in taking the Tandy classes but they felt like they were just following the stohlman books.

Self taught? I think I might be going down this route as well. After looking up how much actual classes cost from the locally available instructors...well, looks like it's Youtube, Pdfs, and Forums for me LOL