walter roth

Tools Of A Swiss Sattler

Hello Walter,

You are an amazing person. Your work is outstanding.

It is apparent that you have wonderful talent with your craft.

It is truly an honor, to be able to see such beautiful craftsmanship, and from someone so willing to share the remarkable pictures of his work and collection of tools.

You are the Van Gogh of the leather world.

God Bless.

Ray

This is great stuff Walter. The Internet makes us all neighbors.

I like your set up very much, the machine is nice too; small and handy. Lots of people uses the bigger shop press for embossing and cutting like the example in this thread http://leatherworker...showtopic=35165. The loop patterns looks very good, it takes much time to hand crease them. I bet the embossing plates was expensive to have made. If you have a good contact on embossing plates you want to share please send me a PM or post. I am looking for a manufacturer of metal embossing plates. I am buying some poly/fiber plates from Bunkhouse tools , http://www.bunkhousetools.com/ they are not bad. But I am looking for someone who can engrave custom metal dies too.

Your loops looks very good, what kind of leather do you use? Do you emboss bridle leather ( waxed leather) or do you use wegtan.

Thank you for posting Walter, its been very informative.

Tor

Edited by Trox

Hi Tor

This is hard to describe , I'll make the leather especially .

It is a " smooth leather " , so a little oiled leather with a smooth surface as possible , and it must be very boardy ...... from the best zone of the skin.

Earlier I also used leather tool , so with the hot " stearin " through- greased leather from Swiss Army .... = leather stuff as they say here .

Unfortunately, the European Union has banned the colors you need to make this very hard greased leather to color , so I changed to " smooth leather " . 100 years ago, you use the same leather like I did today , so vegatbil tanned leather, " butt " as the swiss says the leather which comes from the top back portion of beef .

Time to make it , it does not take much ...... 5 minutes.

The engraver made of these plates , I knew certainly 30 years , he's last year with 59 years in the middle of working on the bench and fell over dead .............

He was a respected and very good professional man , well, he will miss you.

In Momment I do not have the workshop I could recommend .

But I could ask who can do it now ? ... ?

These plates way, I first milled in a copper negative , then get spark eroded to a steel -positive.

I myself did it by hand with a graver engraver " reproduced" To do a touchup to give the edges still a better contour.

But I have already made with synthetic chemical molding of originals.

Those were chair seats from the time of 1900.

The original leather with the decoration you need a perfectly straight stick metal plate and make a frame around it, powder them with the leather and fully Gravitpuder giesen with..... "Araldite Black" .

Then harden and separate from the leather , which is possible now because of the powder , and you've got an embossing plate .

At the plate , the wet leather put a felt over it and put a steel plate on top and down below the press where it stops for a day.

The Araldite is indeed a well-known adhesive , and the black is for metals.

These plates tolerated but only a little pressure , do not remember it exactly , so think 3-4 tonnes.

today is the engraving plates such as I have , however, become easier because the controllers of machine tools are much better than 20 years ago , 3-D engraving is easy to do today .

greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Hi Ray ......

Thanks for the praise.

One does what one can.

I always assumed each order so that was also difficult.

That was the time this variety in the craft.

And I love it when you have something on the table after work and it is well made and of fine quality.

I have always taken care of everything that had to do with saddlery, all interested me and I've often made work ........... and that no money earned ...... ((-:

But there were still things I would like to do, as a braided rawhide bridle as in the United States ....... (((-:

I only wanted to be a goldsmith, but there was almost no a good job of apprentices trained man .................. and yet really genuine jewelery from A - Z produced.

But I would still prefer to become a gunsmith, but also because there was no training courses to learn the job.

Art - blacksmith would have been something ...... the same as with the above two appointed.

But as a saddlery I found something and I liked it.

Here in Switzerland you do so, a professional training which usually lasts 4 years.

greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Hi Tor

Interesting links.

This workshop presses were too big and too expensive damal.

But it can be done well, of course.

But it takes a very smooth straight top and bottom plate else makes you the tools broken.

The company with the plastic Emboser Wheels, interesting.

The technology has been known for a long time, only the steel rollers out there, usually very high in price.

But interesting .................

greeting

Walter

Thank you Walter for the explanations, it is very interesting.

To bad the engraver is not with us anymore. There are a few of your words I do not understand, could you please explain the process in German. The process of of copying the pattern from the original leather to the copper negative. Do not stress about finding any engraver, only if you meet one anyway. I do not wont you to have any extra trouble/work because of me. However, I will be grateful of any tip thank you very much.

And thanks for taking the time to explain all these interesting techniques.

About the Bunkhouse poly embossing plates. I have bought a few from them, they also sell under the seller name ducktrader on EBay. I use the plates in my old German Sandt clicking press, I do not know exactly the power of this machine. It has between 6 to 8 tons pressure, I think. The company recommend to put a sheet of heavy rubber under the leather when using them, and I do. They provide the rubber with the dies/plates, and they hold up good so far. They are pretty cheap and some of them gives a real good impression, some are not that good but still workable. I also tried another poly embossing plate bought on the Ebay, they ship from Thailand and Spain. The plate was very thin and wrongly made, I can not recommend these plates. However, Bunkhouse is very nice people and their plates are very strong. I am looking at their embossing machine too, it takes a one inch roll and can be used with a variety of other rolls. Its a simple design that works, it gets good reviews. Its about 500$ for the machine. I got a tip about another machine made by a Amish man in New York that should be a better machine in the same price range. However, he is hard to contact because he do not uses any modern forms of communication only letters. Moreover, he do not respond frequently to these letters either (once a year). I think thats not possibly for me who lives so far away. I was thinking about welding up a embosser myself, but then again I get paid for doing leatherwork and not welding.

To something completely else. I got an Email from Thomas Brinkhoff (head of spare parts Dürkopp Adler) about the new 967 and 969 H types machines from DA. They are made to sew extreme applications (such as our leather work), have a very high foot lift of 30 mm. Integrated position motor, electronic bobbin winder, easy adjustments of stroke and position. And a very smooth design, and I bet they cost allot of Euros £ $. They have a video of it on Youtube and on their site. Nevertheless, no pdf data sheets yet.

Looking very good.

Tor

post-10237-0-31544600-1377864255_thumb.j

Hello Ledehandwerker ....

Here is something about tool.

Starting with the "Priks" as they say here in Switzerland, or in French - "Griffe à molette" .......... or English - "PrickingWheels"

The sizes of the wheels go down there 4-24 stitches per inch.

Where 24 is almost unnähbar.

In between, one can see "Priks" with so-called "blind Wheels" a certain fondness saddlery equal to the seam wanted to push something in leather with iron wheels.

Then the English "Prik" with the white button on top which was made from ox-bone on the reef.

A very rare specimen. Ic had in the 30 years seen only once, except of course my part here .... (((-:

Full linkis are still 3 tools with which the saddler stirrer most marked for a rough total on a simp decoration like bells belts for cows. Let it be just easier to sell with a bit of decoration .... ((-:

More tomorrow, mene rough waiting, we go to the "Pig Roast"

As they say here in the fall when the farmers slaughter the pigs and then they cook pig-roasting sausages, blood sausages and meat with sauerkraut boiler. etc.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-07100800-1378571396_thumb.j

post-43725-0-11985700-1378571416_thumb.j

post-43725-0-41387400-1378571431_thumb.j

post-43725-0-58090400-1378571454_thumb.j

post-43725-0-33347500-1378571483_thumb.j

Hi Thor

Did not see your post, just had a little time.

I'll answer you tomorrow.

Quick ............. you only the LABELS ... http://www.boglegreenwell.com/belts.php

http://www.boglegreenwell.com/product_images/BOGLE-GREENWELL% 20MACHINERY% 20025.jpg

The rest tomorrow.

Greeting

Walter

Hi gate

I'm going next week, the copper electrodes photographs I have taken as negative.

It is so. today you can mill with the modern technology of CNC controls, these panels as unique as such, even in 3-D, so on a plate on the inside has a slight radius.

Earlier, 100 years ago had to do that in steel as a single piece of hand engraving, ie, the gross wells were milled, and then engraved by hand after.

This made these plates very expensive.

When I left to make this Platen, since I have the pattern zuest be used to mill a plate Kuper. Because of the radius, the plates are not just yes, you could do it pretty well, just napped the many small pyramid-shaped which can be seen in the positve as wells that would, if one makes the disk directly to engrave hard as wells .

So I first made a "copper-negative", which I used as an electrode "erode" for the "Steel positives", ie the actual embossing tool.

https://www.google.ch/search?q=erodieren&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=pY4rUuyGCcGJ7AbOxoGYAw&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQsAQ&biw=1096&bih=572

Deutsche Version / German Langwhitch.

Hallo Tor

Ich werde dir nächste Woche die Kupferelektroden Fotografieren, die ich als negativ gemacht habe um die Stahlplatten zu erodeiren.

Es ist so. heute kann man mit der modernen Technik der CNC Steuerungen, diese Platten als Unikat direkt fräsen, auch in 3-D, also auf eine Platte die innen einen leichten Radius hat.

Früher, vor 100 Jahren, musste man das in Stahl als Einzelstück von Hand gravieren, das heisst, die groben Vertiefungen wurden gefräst, und dann von Hand nach gestochen.

Das machte diese Platten sehr teuer.

Als ich diese Platen machen liess, da habe ich die Muster zuerst auf eine Kupferplatte fräsen lassen. Wegen des Radius, die Platten sind ja nicht gerade, konnte man das recht gut machen, die vielen kleinen pyramiden-förmigen rauten die im Positiv als Vertiefungen zu sehen sind, die wären, wenn man die Platte direkt macht, als Vertiefungen schwer zu gravieren.

Also machte ich zuerst ein "Kupfer-negativ", und das benutzte ich als Elektrode zum "erodieren" des "Stahlpositives", also des eigentlichen Prägewerkzeuges.

Gruss Walter

Änderungen rückgängig machen

Alpha

Ist diese Übersetzung besser als die ursprüngliche Übersetzung?

Ja, Übersetzung senden

Vielen Dank für Ihren Beitrag.

Verwendungsbeispiel für "":

Automatisch von Google übersetzt

Translations of hat

haben-Verb

have

haben, besitzen, verfügen über, sein, bekommen, machen

have got

haben

hold

halten, besitzen, festhalten, haben, abhalten, aufnehmen

possess

besitzen, haben, beherrschen

own

besitzen, haben, zugeben, anerkennen, zugestehen

keep

halten, aufbewahren, behalten, bleiben, bewahren, haben

come up with

haben, kommen auf, produzieren

meet with

treffen, finden, stoßen auf, haben, erleben, erleiden

Please help Google Translate improve quality for your language here.

Edited by walter roth

Hi Tor

Also, die neuen Adler Maschinen sind sicher super, aber vermutlich fast unbezahlbar.....((-:

Aber Danke für die Infos.

Deutsche Version, ....................Prägeplatten selber gemacht.

Aso nun noch zu herstellung von Prägeplatten für einzelobjekte.

Ich habe die einmal mit Araldit-schwarz gemacht.

Aradit ist ein 2-Komponenten Klebstoff.

Ich habe dmals das Original Lederteil auf eine ganz gerade Unterlage gekebt, das Leder mit Grafitpuder bestreut .....und den Araldit darauf gegossen. Etwa 3 cm dick.

Ihn dann aushärten lassen, und wegen des Puders konnte man ihn nun einfach vom Leder abnehmen.

Und schon hatte ich eine Prägeplatte.........

Ich klebte diese Platte auf eine Stahlplatte damit sie gut gelagert ist und ohne luft dazwischen, dann das nass Leder drauf, einen dicken Filz darüber, nochmals eine Stahlplatte darauf, und nun legte ich das ganze unter die Presse.

Allerdings ist dazu deine Stanze nicht brauchbar, denn der Druck sollte einige Zeit bestehen bleiben, damit sich das Leder an die Form anpasst.

English.............

Embossing plates made himself.

Aso now still manufacture of dies for individual objects.

I once made with Araldite black.

Aradit is a 2-component adhesive.

I have the original leather then glued part in a very level surface, sprinkled the leather with graphite powder ..... and poured the Araldite it. About 3 cm thick.

Then let it harden, and because of the powder could now easily remove it from the leather.

And I already had an embossing plate .........

I pasted this plate to a steel plate so that it is stored well and no air in between, then the wet leather on it, a thick felt about once a steel plate on it, and now I put the whole of the press.

However, it is not useful to your punch, because the pressure should remain some time, so that the leather conforms .

Greeting

Walter

Edited by walter roth

Hello leather craftsman ....

Here I have time to watch a few awls.

When preparing as Satter also collars, you need some of those things. The here I have almost all equipped with new grips.

I made ​​it myself "Turkish boxwood" on a wood lathe.

Beautiful handles are unfortunately hard to find, and the beautiful from the U.S. I did not know then.

Well, have not the classic European form.

Then some hammers consisted of my, even nowadays are hard to find, and when, gibts sure a collector of a high price must be paid to the offer.

So, I hope you like them.

The long thin awls are called hair remover like they used too upholsterer.

The Awl the ussieht like a dagger, which one makes also use the collar to the front to prick holes through which you can then pulls the belt through which you attached the wood on the collar.

These pieces of wood that are visible on the screen, which are small sewing-shears, with which you slide loops sewn on belts etc.

Then a few so-called "Geissfuss" or - "V-tools" as they are called here. "Geiss" is a Goat in Switzerland.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-92236400-1378667091_thumb.j

post-43725-0-51897200-1378667101_thumb.j

post-43725-0-65055200-1378667109_thumb.j

post-43725-0-03580800-1378667124_thumb.j

post-43725-0-23951900-1378667136_thumb.j

post-43725-0-33537100-1378667164_thumb.j

post-43725-0-33899700-1378667184_thumb.j

Edited by walter roth

Here are a few bones.

Bone Folder to say here also.

The bones were previously used to, too beautiful to fold plans, ie in engineering and planning firms, they are used to do so today.

The one still bears the mark of Blanchard.

Beautifully as he previously formed.

Then a tool for cutting leather cords and make the holes around.

4 different types of U-Gauges how to make suitcase used to fold the leather.

And in the middle of two tools that were used only in Switzerland.

One sees clearly what ....... abzuschärfen around edges, a labor-french-edgern you can also do well with wide.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-31420100-1378668285_thumb.j

post-43725-0-98765900-1378668296_thumb.j

post-43725-0-39006100-1378668312_thumb.j

post-43725-0-28967800-1378668325_thumb.j

post-43725-0-94776500-1378668356_thumb.j

post-43725-0-42281000-1378668368_thumb.j

post-43725-0-64806900-1378668379_thumb.j

post-43725-0-37410200-1378668405_thumb.j

post-43725-0-38234400-1378668419_thumb.j

post-43725-0-68975600-1378668434_thumb.j

Here is a special tool.

It was used in the leather knew bevel "45 °".

Auda file until today I saw only the one time, and I immediately bought habs .... ((-:

Was an old saddler and he has never used it.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-15268500-1378669339_thumb.j

post-43725-0-80909200-1378669353_thumb.j

post-43725-0-52606900-1378669373_thumb.j

Here's what's "Rieffel" or Creasser in English.

Blanchard, German bone-baking, and one from the USA, I have series of Bruce Johnson, .... right on the very edge.

The scwarze tool from Indian ebony I made myself, I use it for splicing of slings.

Top center sees a "Osborne channeler" ... next to the pendant by Blanchard. Frensch-Edger by Blanchard, they are much larger as that of Gomph.

Then some "Abebner" used to purchase next to a seam to cut away the leather.

By Blanchard and "Rossler" from Germany.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-56077600-1378670462_thumb.j

post-43725-0-80492500-1378670480_thumb.j

post-43725-0-48884700-1378670493_thumb.j

post-43725-0-86718800-1378670511_thumb.j

post-43725-0-36247700-1378670525_thumb.j

Hello Macca, I received the knife today, thank you very much. A very fine knife that fits both my Mayer Flamery and Blanchard plough. I did expect it to be shipped from an other country, since you are a brit.

Thank you very much Macca, I owe you one.

Tor

Hello Macca, I received the knife today, thank you very much. A very fine knife that fits both my Mayer Flamery and Blanchard plough. I did expect it to be shipped from an other country, since you are a brit.

Thank you very much Macca, I owe you one.

Tor

Out of curiosity, what knife are we talking about here? :-)

No problem Tor

Glad it's useful for you.

Out of curiosity, what knife are we talking about here? :-)

this one

apXJ1yk.jpg

Hello Walter, Thank you for explaining the process of making those embossing plates, I now understand the process. I also understand that the embossing process of the box loops will work best with a press like yours, when it gets some time to fixate. Thank you for taking the time to write it in German too, I understand German but have no practice writing it. You have posted a lot of new beautiful tools since last time I was on line. I love your Griffe à Molette Collection. As usual you dig up tools I never have seen before, what do you use those strange looking double crossed line pricking wheel for? (pic. #1, post #107) Are those for decorative seams? Where are you buying your wheels now? Blanchard. It does not look like you need any new ones for some years, thought. Pic.#5 and #6, post # 113 is a tool I never have seen before, is it something that only exist in Switzerland and perhaps Germany? Is it better to use around edges than a standard French edger?. About French edgers, it looks like they do not exist in France anymore. The Blanchard one in your pic looks very old to me, ebony handle its at least hundred years old. The tool you call "Abebner" to cut away leather close to seams, do you know the French name of this tool. I think Vergez Blanchard still list one like it "COUTEAU A SURTAILLER LAME MOBILE" # 3_756 http://www.vergez-blanchard.fr/boutique/liste_produits.cfm?type=31&code_lg=lg_fr&num=2&pag=2 with a knife who is removable. Blanchard do not have any good pictures of it. Is this the same tool?

About the new Adler 967 and 969H machines. I do not know any more about the price yet, Thomas Brinkhoff will inform me about it and a comparing with the TSC 441 machine too. The price is important of course. However, its a brand new machine that is bigger than any other cylinder beds on the marked today. It can not be compared to any clone machines, its not built to compete with those. Most important, this looks like it does not need any kind of modification for saddler use. They have made a machine for us leather workers, I hope we will be able to use it too. Yes,It all depends of the price of course.

Beautiful tools Walter, keep on posting; we love this stuff.

Hi Tor

The tools 4 - 5 - 6 or 6307 - 6307-6308 are normal parts known.

The French-Edger are just always been like that in Blanchard, but they are of better Gomph to work. Was just the European form.

The so-called "Abebner", yes the place is no longer in the program by Blanchard, another tool that has been abandoned.

But the model as shown by me is simply the older version, without changing - blade.

The models are even better for working, but they are not as easy to grind.

The model is the way of "Rössler", so "Melzer and Feller" in Thuringia.

The time has also worked with ebony buttons. the tool

So from the years before 1914, because after the war was ebony hardly find in Germany without its colonies and with the great inflation of the 20's years.

The tool in the picture 6203 is a grooved roller or "Molette", most of which were produced by "Rossler".

They did not serve to mark out the seam, but only for a quick simple decoration.

On the bell belt or leather covers, on top of the collars for Work of the harnesses, you could see that often.

Well found, I have these tools by old saddlers, often in such that they themselves have used and the previous owner had already taken their workshops.

I often had this for hours mourning the stories of widows endure by the saddlers .... (((-:

greeting

Walter

Here are a few bones.

Bone Folder to say here also.

The bones were previously used to, too beautiful to fold plans, ie in engineering and planning firms, they are used to do so today.

The one still bears the mark of Blanchard.

Beautifully as he previously formed.

Then a tool for cutting leather cords and make the holes around.

4 different types of U-Gauges how to make suitcase used to fold the leather.

And in the middle of two tools that were used only in Switzerland.

One sees clearly what ....... abzuschärfen around edges, a labor-french-edgern you can also do well with wide.

greeting

Walter

Hello Walter.

The edging tool is very unique. Are such tools still available today?

Have never seen anything like it in the U.S.

God Bless.

Ray

Hi Ray ...Hi Ray ...

The tool you mean.

It is believed to have been made ​​only for Switzerland because here we have distributed the leather work of the army under the saddlers.

For certain work, it was probably very helpful, but you have the blade ...... very ..... ... be very sharp, otherwise it is not good to use.

I will, if I find one off operations, set it here in case someone wants to buy it, but it is very uncertain whether I ever find such a thing.

They usually cost very little, the most saddlery can not grind the knife.

Greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-98210800-1378836089_thumb.j

post-43725-0-63854500-1378836111_thumb.j

post-43725-0-79598700-1378836121_thumb.j

Thank you for the explanation Walter. Now it is the Soccer world championship qualifying Norway-Switzerland on Ullevål stadion in Oslo (not far from where I live) Swiss is leading by one goal, must the best team Winn. Good luck Walter

Hi Ray ...Hi Ray ...

The tool you mean.

It is believed to have been made ​​only for Switzerland because here we have distributed the leather work of the army under the saddlers.

For certain work, it was probably very helpful, but you have the blade ...... very ..... ... be very sharp, otherwise it is not good to use.

I will, if I find one off operations, set it here in case someone wants to buy it, but it is very uncertain whether I ever find such a thing.

They usually cost very little, the most saddlery can not grind the knife.

Greeting

Walter

Hi Walter,

You want to sell this?

Whats your price?

Tor

Hi there.

Here are some less ineresantes, but also be dasmuss times .... ((-:

It's about the topic pliers.

Here is a selection of pliers klene I have often needed.

sprengerae at Tern polls of coaches they are beneficial, but also including saddle-making in de English Söteln yes you have to put on the seat, and this is used mostly de pliers with a cam in it.

The Blanchard are good and I hbe used it very much.

But Aich The round-nose pliers to ds at Rngen leather strap and beautiful to pull together when sewing, or the big flat pliers to push to sew esch run.

The clamp is a very big wide belts-spun pliers.

The used of upholsterers often, but also the coach saddlery.

Untr the seat cushion and seat belts were always put into the frame.

Could tighten belts with pliers or with the straps trees of wood. The Sample is a very complex and old model.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-19627800-1378836840_thumb.j

post-43725-0-02748900-1378836861_thumb.j

post-43725-0-39598600-1378836875_thumb.j

post-43725-0-95911700-1378836887_thumb.j

post-43725-0-48543100-1378836901_thumb.j

post-43725-0-62632700-1378836914_thumb.j

post-43725-0-10676400-1378836929_thumb.j

post-43725-0-34739700-1378836947_thumb.j

post-43725-0-82716800-1378836966_thumb.j

post-43725-0-72335900-1378836984_thumb.j

Hi there.

Here is an incomplete tool.

But it shows us that even nicer tools from other Frmen, .... like Blanchard were ergestellt.

There is a part of the company "Pride in Paris" with an ebony handle in the inlaid crest.

greeting

Walter

post-43725-0-52648100-1378837372_thumb.j

post-43725-0-39330200-1378837454_thumb.j

Edited by walter roth