Narles25

Sides To A Small Pouch...

Hello,

This is a question thats been on my mind for awhile now... I'm trying to get "sides" stitched into a small pouch but they turn out rough every time. Is there a better way to do this? I've included a pic so you all know what I'm talking about...

post-42347-0-12575100-1375136016_thumb.j

The easiest way to do that will be to wet form it in the shape that you need and get the sides flattened out. Other than that, the other option would be to glue them in place first so they're not trying to spring back on you while you stitch. But, wet molded will look a lot better. It also looks like maybe you're trying to stitch too far in. The distance from the edge should be about equivalent to the thickness of the two pieces combined (within reason).

Additional to Cyberthrasher, Whether you wet mold or not, glue the pieces together with a good quality cement, contact cement if you are careful and have some experience with it. Then trim the edges to match, then mark and sew. Starting with oversize pieces allows a little slippage or error here or there. When marking out for assembly, mark the middle of the folds on both pieces, then line the midpoints up when gluing them together. Helps to avoid warping of the project.

Tom

The easiest way to do that will be to wet form it in the shape that you need and get the sides flattened out. Other than that, the other option would be to glue them in place first so they're not trying to spring back on you while you stitch. But, wet molded will look a lot better. It also looks like maybe you're trying to stitch too far in. The distance from the edge should be about equivalent to the thickness of the two pieces combined (within reason).

Can you expand on this? I've struggled with the same issue. I have seen wetforming tutorials but I can't picture what you're describing.

Can you expand on this? I've struggled with the same issue. I have seen wetforming tutorials but I can't picture what you're describing.

Have you seen tutorials on wet molding a pouch? Basically just like that. Form the gusset around something so that the portions that need to be stitched are held in shape after it's formed.

i've made very similar pouches and attached them to my leather satchels. Mine were not glued, and the leather was a different kind to that you're using

The way i found worked for me was this :-

scribe a guideline where you want the stitches using a divider- do this on both the main panel and the side.

then using a pricking iron, mark the holes...making sure you start at the same edge for both pieces - This is to ensure the holes line up when you bring the pieces together.

You can either stitch the "proper" way, by punching each hole as you stitch, but i find it easier to punch the holes before i start stitching using a diamond shaped awl.

These images show the finished result....

Andies Clone Bags 07

Satchel No.4 - open

As with all things crafty - the key is to practice practice practice.

just looked again at your image, and i wonder if by rough, you are actually meaning the rough edges of the leather? if thats the problem, then you need to sand the edges before burnishing them. I recently started using a dremel to sand my edges and it does a great job of lining the edges up.

Edited by lightningad

Narles,

One thing that will be a huge help, especially with leather that thick, is to skive along the edges of the gusset before wet molding. Skive to the inset distance (depth of gusset) on the flesh side. That will make the wet molding easier, the bends smoother and the joint thinner and easier to finish.

As to wet molding, make a wooden last (form, mold) mimicking the shape and depth of the finished gusset. Sand it smooth and (optionally) finish with a water-proof polyethylene spray. The take your skived leather and form it over the last, first with your fingers and then with a bone folder, an antler tip, a modeling spoon, etc. Put a thick rubber band around the molded, wet leather and form and let the leather dry over night. Then your gusset will be the proper shape and thinness along the edge to do your stitching.

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit