JPThomas

Using Microfiber Cloth As A Liner For Touchscreen Cases

Has anyone ever used microfiber cloth as a liner in cases of touchscreen phones? I want to make a new case for my Samsung Galaxy Note and was contemplating using a microfiber cloth (just like I have for cleaning my eyeglasses) as the liner for the screen side of my case. Since I am stitching this by hand and do not want to use glue on the cloth I was thinking of just tacking it in place using temporary stitches so it would not bunch up, what do you think?

Thanks,

James

I've never used it personally, but that's a cool idea.

Have you consider doing a rolled edge? It's quite thin and would likely benefit aesthetically from doing so.

I may try a deer skin French Edge to pinch the microfiber into place at the top, but a rolled edge may work better to help prevent scratches.

Where are you buying the microfiber from? I am considering making a case for my Note 3.

Regards

KN

I have had good results using a microfiber cloth that has a thin foam rubber backing.

I make harmonica cases. I had a request to make a case for a chromatic model (the large ones with the button). The customer didn't want a rectangular box with a lid that slipped over the outside. He wanted a case made like a fine jewelry box where the lid is flush because it's actually a box within a box.

http://silverwingleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/CCarryChromeCase-3.jpg

I first used a fine pigskin lining leather to cover the inner case but the leather imparted an unwanted odor on my customer's expensive instrument (I guess he doesn't like his harmonica to smell like pigskin...). He suggested using a faux leather instead. I ended up finding a very nice faux leather microfiber cloth that has a thin foam rubber backing at my local JoAnne's Fabric store.

The padded microfiber cloth was a very nice solution. It is very smooth allowing the instrument to be inserted/extracted easily even though the padding gives the case slightly smaller inner dimensions when the foam is uncompressed. When inserted, the foam padding holds the harmonica very snugly and securely. And it doesn't smell.

I used a spray adhesive to adhere the padded cloth to some thin plastic forms which I then cemented into the the inside of the outer case. Worked just fine and resulted in a very sanitary solution.

Works for me. :)

Michelle

Edited by silverwingit