Twisted B

Choosing The Right Sewing Machine Is Overwhelming!

I love the custom horse tack I see available, and I really think I could make some. But, my biggest hurdle is the sewing machine!! I realize the better ($$$) the machine is the easier it will be. Unfortunately that is an expensive commitment when I am not 100% sure I actually have leather working skills. So my question is, what is the minimum requirement for sewing leather and what low cost options do you recommend? I read the article cautioning about the "industrial" sewing machines on eBay. I have been searching Craigslist for local deals and cross referencing those with this forum. Is it possible to rent an appropriate machine? Once I am sure I can do this I have no problem investing in a better quality machine.

If you're talking about horse tack (reins and stuff?) you're probably talking about a heavier machine. most of the machines on eBay won't do. I think that when you get to that thickness of leather, there's really only one or two classes of machines that will work; either a Juki 441 clone or an Adler 205. Adlers are nice machines but I think there are fewer clones of those machines so they tend to be more expensive. Juki 441s have quite a few clones out there that are well supported.Cobra, Cowboy, Artisan, Techsew... They all make clones of those machines. On the low end I'd say you should expect to spend at least $1500 on these machines.

Some may recommend the Tippmann Boss but be aware that that's a manual machine and you have to yank the lever with each stitch. If you're sewing a long rein, that can be quite a bit of manual work...

Andrew

I love the custom horse tack I see available, and I really think I could make some. But, my biggest hurdle is the sewing machine!! I realize the better ($$$) the machine is the easier it will be. Unfortunately that is an expensive commitment when I am not 100% sure I actually have leather working skills. So my question is, what is the minimum requirement for sewing leather and what low cost options do you recommend? I read the article cautioning about the "industrial" sewing machines on eBay. I have been searching Craigslist for local deals and cross referencing those with this forum. Is it possible to rent an appropriate machine? Once I am sure I can do this I have no problem investing in a better quality machine.

Everyone has a budget to work with and this is why many companies offer machines in different price ranges. Having said that you definitely want to invest in a machine that will last you years as opposed to one that may save you some money in the short term but end up costing you more over time due to breakdowns and repair costs.

There are a number of resources available on this website that you should read, and dealer sponsors can be found along the banner section on the top of this page who will be happy to answer your questions. If you're buying local, take some sample leather with you and make sure the machine performs as you would like it to. If you're buying from an out of state company you can send some samples by mail and have them do some testing for you to make sure you've got the right machine.

Best of luck in your search!

Ron

Wish that I could go out and buy the best machine I could. With 3 kids that always need something, there is not a big budget in my household for my attempt at this hobby. So I will have to go with the cheapest acceptable option, and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't break down before I decide I'm committed to leather work. I realize that the ideal budget is $1500-$3000, I just hope someone has a more affordable temporary suggestion. The pictures I attached is tack created by Cowboy Couture Tack and Crown Leather. They are the type of tack I aspire to create :)post-43750-0-83008800-1375222414_thumb.jpost-43750-0-29443900-1375222457_thumb.j

There is an alternative to buying a sewing machine, especially where this is a hobby. Get the book "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather" by Al Stohlman available as a download from Tandy. Then get the sewing supplies you need and some scrap leather about the weight that you want to use and practice. Saddle stitching is preferred by many people and holds up better than machine sewing when done right. The advantage of the machine is it's faster and usually easier on the fingers (as long as you keep your fingers out of the way).

There are many threads (posts) here that you can research to see how others are doing their hand stitching. Also some YouTube videos.

Most of all, have some fun while you research and start sewing and making tack.

Tom

I totally agree with Tom and I’ve been making horse tack for well over 30 years, you certainly don’t need a sewing machine for bridle work all you need is a couple packs of harness point needles, pricker (awl) thread preferably linen, pricking or over stitch wheel and bees wax, and that’s exactly what high end $1000 plus bridles are sewn with, you can pick all that up for around $100 or less.

If you're talking about horse tack (reins and stuff?) you're probably talking about a heavier machine. most of the machines on eBay won't do. I think that when you get to that thickness of leather, there's really only one or two classes of machines that will work; either a Juki 441 clone or an Adler 205. Adlers are nice machines but I think there are fewer clones of those machines so they tend to be more expensive. Juki 441s have quite a few clones out there that are well supported.Cobra, Cowboy, Artisan, Techsew... They all make clones of those machines. On the low end I'd say you should expect to spend at least $1500 on these machines.

Some may recommend the Tippmann Boss but be aware that that's a manual machine and you have to yank the lever with each stitch. If you're sewing a long rein, that can be quite a bit of manual work...

Andrew

I would respectfully add a third, and possibly the best class of machine for this type of work. A harness stitcher, such as a used Randall or new Campbell. These machines were designed specifically for harness work, and Campbell has a lay-away plan I think. This is of course once you've done some hand stitching, decided that you want to go into production, and need a machine, perhaps you don't.

Other (used) considerations would be a Pearson #6, or Landis #1, I picked a Landis #1 up in great shape for $400, and it would do fine harness work all day long. But parts/needles etc are not as easy for these machines.

Edited by DarkSeid