waddy

Saddle shipping boxes

I just used my last good heavy box for shipping saddles. Does anyone know a good source for high quality, heavy duty corrugated shipping boxes? It would be nice if they already had the handholds in the ends. They are obviously available somewhere, as the production companies use them. Help anyone?

I got some pretty good ones from my local house moving people. The ones they use have to be tough as they get re-used several times. The boxes I found had handholds. Hope you find some.

Thanks UKRay and Greg. I found a Shipping website, but none of their measurements work out. I got my last ones from Brighton Feed and Saddlery, but they're a looooong way away! I'll check with a couple of the "real" saddle retailers in Grand Junction next time I make it down there. I don't think it would even be worth checking at Murdocks. I don't know whether plastic and cloth saddles are shipped in real boxes or not! :rolleyes:

Waddy, my wife and I have a used saddle business and we ship a lot of saddles. We buy boxes from ULINE for shipping saddles. They make a box that has several creases in the sides allowing you to make the box smaller or larger depending upon the size of the saddle. This saves a lot in shipping, because the real big cost in shipping is not weight, but in the size of the item(box). The larger the box the more it costs. Look online at www.uline.com and look up model # S-4000 boxes. ron.

I buy boxes from a local company in Ft. Worth that makes custom boxes. I get U-line's catalog, and, although they have many items that are great for shipping - I could not get the kind of box I needed from them. I use a full overlap flap box, 275lb, rather than the type that the flaps meet in the middle. My feeling is that I owe it to my customer to ship their saddle in a quality, sturdy box, especially considering what the value of the saddle is - (usually more than $4000). FYI - I charge the customer for the cost of the box, figured into the 'Shipping/Handling' fee - the size I order is 30"x20"x20". Anything shorter in length than 30" is not sufficient. My skirts are never longer than 29 1/4" - I order my saddle boxes to accomodate the largest skirts, so I'm not worried that I won't have a box that's big enough, and I won't have to 'stuff' the saddle in there, possibly causing more problems than just saving me a few bucks on the cost of a box...last time I purchased they ran about $13.00 ea.

I will save any good boxes that I get supplies in - for shipping smaller goods. Saves having to order additional boxes, and, if I need to send something Priority, the USPS will give you a 'Priority' box, in various sizes. With all these options, I don't have to purchase any boxes other than saddle boxes...

I usually ship saddles with Fed Ex Ground or UPS Ground, with an average weight of 42 lbs...both companies will charge by the size of the box, as well as the weight of the box...I always insure for the full value (I know of shops that have had saddles 'lost' by both of these companies - and never recovered, then had hell getting reimbursed for the full value of the saddle shipped with them-these companies only want to pay 'wholesale' cost) Knock on wood, I've never had to go thru that...and, again, I have all of this 'built in' to the average fee I charge for shipping/handling...

Edited by Shelly

Wow, Shelly,thats really great information. Ill keep all of that info for future use. BTW the boxes that ULINE sell, particularily the ones I listed Stock # S-4000 are 275#, and fold over past the middle are very secure and are $3.70 each, a little better than $13. .....thanks for the great info... ron.

Edited by 3arrows