Curley Fryes

Leather Cutting Knife

I just need a simple knife to cut my leather. What tool do you experts suggest I obtain?

I use a plain ol' utility knife...with a new blade...I've tried the round knives, but can't get the hang of using them.

I have a round knife that I seldom use. I keep the fleshing blade on a stockman pattern knife razor sharp and that is what i use most of the time. -- Tex

Simple, cheap and effective? A boxcutter utility knife, we call em Stanley knives over here. The kind work the trapezoidal "disposable" blades. Strop the new blade and you won't imagine the difference. Don't bother buying new blades, just keep stropping the first one.

My $.02 worth, the round knife is far easier to use than a utility knife once you get used to it. As long as your knife is (very) sharp and you practice with it a little bit, you find it much easier and safer to cut leather with. I couldn't imagine using a razor blade to cut my leather now.

Bob

I agree with bob, I started with an exacto knife for small items, then a box cutter before I ever got a round knife... I still use the box cutter from time to time, but the round knife to me gives a lot more control. I can cut straighter with on too. Get one and you'll never look back. All my opinion though.

A sharp round knife is hard to beat

Stanley Knife and a Rotary blade knife depending on the type of cut. Cant beat the rotary blade for long straight cuts.

This is the one I use.

31P8HHYCZEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This is what I have been using, $5.95 for 12 each they cut through leather like butter...

$%28KGrHqYOKjwE3RPS+NPqBN9QD41gM%21%7E%7E_12.JPG

I may as well jump in here :)

I made the handles. Knife maker on the forum made the blades for me.

Pic one of them:

post-15740-0-01419200-1376230808_thumb.j

ferg

Going by the quote in you sig what you need is a round or head knife. All other suggestions are not as accurate.