mrs ahab

So Many Questions - Help - Suede Work

Hi, ive just stumbled into something i really love and want to get good at. Im sewing some accessories from suede, wristbands etc. Theyr coming out really nice but im going crazy trying to sort the fasteners out. Whats the best kind to use with suede? I was given a very large box of press studs (the popper kind with the little spring and the 'nipple' rather than the open circle kind). I got two sets of pliers with them, one was broken the one with the spike on it. So im doing fine setting the 'nipple' (i wish i knew the right word - sorry) but the catch im setting with the same plyers and then using a hand tool i got off the net to squash the inside down. Most times this is either not staying on or the fit is so tight i can hardly get them apart without tearing the suede or busting the catch apart again so it comes off, even with multiple layers. Hope im making sense. Are these kind of poppers just too tough to use with soft suede or am i doing something wrong? is there a tequnique to using the hand tools with a hammer? as i cant seem to do it at all with the whole kit, often not lining up or just not strong enough to cope with a pull. I think these poppers were originally purchsed to use on tough vinyl blinds, though they look the same as all the ones ive seen online.

What do you call those little screw on fasteners that have a bobble on a stick and then you just press it through a hole? might they be better?

Also i got some rivets which i assumed i would be able to set with the same pliers. I cant seem to get them to close without going off centre and then two parts falling apart with a bent spike? or the spike pops through the other side , or nearly does!

sorry, its a bit of a muddled question i know, hope you can help guys,

thanks in advance, looking forward to learning lots on here.

The "bobble on a stick" is a sam brown button stud. It sounds like the rivets have too much post length for the material you are using. I use a cheap setter from tandy to set the jiffy rivets. I dont know of any plier type tool that will set any kind of rivet. Hope this helps.