nordicdistrict

Slicking Flesh Side Of Leather

So I acquired this japanese leatherwork book and not knowing japanese I have a question regarding the process. It looks as if some kind of gel is added to the flesh side in order to slick it - does anyone know about this?

ZgPS8nD.png

Looks like maybe Gum Trag.

I dont read Japanese, but over here, rubbing in a little thick paste consistency yellow saddle soap then the glass slicker is one way. I haven't tried it but it seems to me like glycerine oughta work

Edited by oltoot

I've done that with Leather Balm w/Atom Wax, but that product doesn't look like a gel so I'm pretty sure that's not what they are using in the book.

Bob

It's actually a Chinese translation of the Japanese leathercraft book. The literal Chinese translation of the gel is "fleshside processing agent," which I believe refers to the burnishing gum Tragacanth replacement, which is sold by Goodsjapan http://www.goodsjapan.jp/item/leather-craft-items-leather-fi/seiwa-leathercraft-burnishing-/lid=29749117

Since it's a gum trag replacement, I suppose you can just use gum trag. :)

They use the same as gum trag in those books. I have one of their wallet books. I did this with a piece of veg tanned that was a bit furry on the backside, using a metal spoon to flatten it, as I don't own a glass slicker. The slicker would probably work better as long as it doesn't stretch it out. May want to cut your leather after slicking.

Gum trag works... sort of. Glycerine soap works better.

Gum trag works... sort of. Glycerine soap works better.