Bryan M

Making A Skiving Knife

I started making a skiving knife today. If I'm going to be making knives, I have to work with leather and a good skiving knife is a critical tool to have. I could have just as easily bought one but this is much more fun. I have a large piece of bandsaw blade from an old wood sawmill. I got it cut to shape and ground out. Then started the tedious task of sanding all the rust off. I got the handles roughed out and the pin holes drilled in the handle and in the blank. Then go it sanded to 800 grit. I don't know if I want to go much further. I don't have a buffer. Its on the list though.

post-37647-0-11164600-1376377822_thumb.j

post-37647-0-41095500-1376377844_thumb.j

post-37647-0-29227000-1376377862_thumb.j

Well it took a little longer than I wanted it to but I did get more work done on it the last couple of days. I was able to get the handle shaped and sanded smooth. It turned out pretty well I think. I need to put a finish on it and get some small scratches out. And of course sharpen it. But other than that its looking pretty good to me. I'll post some more pics when I get it completed in the next couple of days.

post-37647-0-67378400-1376790017_thumb.j

post-37647-0-50787300-1376790030_thumb.j

You have a grinder ? If you do put a buffing wheel on it and it will work fine. Remember to keep what ever your buffing below the center of the wheel or it will take what ever your buffing away from ya.

No unfortunately I don't have a grinder. Its all hand work from here on in. Its on the list though. I do like a good power tool. I know buffers can be dangerous if not used properly. More than one friend has been hurt by them.

I see a grinder laying on the bench in one of the pictures, use it with a sandpaper disc on it. DO NOT allow ANY color to change during the sharpening. Keep the steel wet and quench constantly. Once it almost has an edge on it switch to a whetstone and do a final edge. Only cut your taper on one side of the blade, this kind of knife is sharpened more like a chisel then a knife.

It looks great! How did you cut the blank out of the sawblade, what did you use. Did you take the temper out of the steel, and did you have to retemper it?

I see a grinder laying on the bench in one of the pictures, use it with a sandpaper disc on it. DO NOT allow ANY color to change during the sharpening. Keep the steel wet and quench constantly. Once it almost has an edge on it switch to a whetstone and do a final edge. Only cut your taper on one side of the blade, this kind of knife is sharpened more like a chisel then a knife.

I meant a bench grinder. I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I know to only cut one taper on the blade. I've researched many different styles before I settled on this shape. I primarily work in metals.

It looks great! How did you cut the blank out of the sawblade, what did you use. Did you take the temper out of the steel, and did you have to retemper it?

I used the hand grinder in the picture to cut it off the parent band saw blade then used a belt sander to get the primary shape. Everything else has been done by hand. I did not let the blade get hot so no further tempering is needed. Its very hard steel either 15N20 or L6. Both have similar chemistry. Thanks for the interest.